Jewel Cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
they can reach about 6 inches. they are fairly good breeders and will defend their batch vigorously. they eat anything from live worms to flakes. larger sized foods are better when they are larger cause they get "filled" (if that can be achieved) faster. they need a larger territory than small cichlids due to their aggression. they will beat on other fish if they feel like it. beware of tankmates, cause jewels will kill smaller fish.

they come from africa so perimeters are

pH: between 7 and 8
hardness- medium hard to hard

(dont know how valid the perimeters are cause I didnt look at anything from those. I was merely guessing cause of where they come from. they could come from the softer watered rivers of africa, which Im not sure if they do. if they do, pH should be between 6 and 7 and the hardness should be on the softer side)

tankmates should be of similar size that can hold their ground. recamended for tanks 50 gallons and up.

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
hey,

are they juveniles??

the tigers may be quick enough to stay alive, if the jewels are young, they may just get used to the barbs as they grow to maturity....

you may want to worry about the tiger barbs bothering the jewels; tigers are best kept in groups, they are well known to be "fin-nippers" (i have 6 in a community tank and they are no problem..)

feed em bloodworms\brine shrimp...garden worms.....

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
blood worms, black worms, or tubifex worms are the most common worms. live isnt recamended unless you culture your own worms cause of parasites. freeze dried and frozen worms are safer. live worms hold more nutrients, tho. if the jewels turn out to get really big, you could feed them earth worms and the like, if they arent too big.

you could also use cichlid pellets or cichlid sticks that are appropirate sizes. flakes arent efficent means of food. they are just too small for medium sized to larger cichlids.

I think tiger barbs are alright, as long as the jewels are small and both types of fish grow up together, so that the barbs continue to be a -safe size- "larger" than the jewels. as in the jewels wont reck on the fish cause they are too big to consider larger peieces of food.

I would get a group of 5 going so the aggression is spread and the jewels see them as a group in the environment rather than a few fish to be killed.

I have blue acaras which arent that agressive now in with some 2 inch black skirts and the skirts arent harrassed as much as they would be. there are nine black skirts rather tahn 2.

if you want, you could get rid of the barbs and get something else that could live with them. Im not sure what other fish could live with jewels.

Mr.Jingles

It's Aqua Live!
Aug 26, 2000
MI, USA
sure. never thought of doing that. the only problem with feeders is that you some could have parasites. people feed anyways and fish grow up healthy most of the time. try it and see if it works. good luck with the job.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store