Jewel City

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
In the past week my Jewels have all spawned. Today I notice a cloud of H. lifalili fry. Crap, I didn't even know they were old enough to spawn! These fry were probably hatched 3-4 days ago.

Then tonight I notice my H. sp. 'Kolente River' acting weird. Upon closer inspection I find a leaf covered with eggs. This is way cool as this is a relatively unknown fish and rare in the hobby. Gotta be sure to save some of these puppies!!

Sorry, just had to tell someone... :D

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Marcus, I'm getting hemichromis fasciatus and H. frempongi in december to jan... :D :cool: :cool:

Congrats on the spawnings!!!

Good luck with the eggs/fry,

Mattimeo

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Originally posted by Co/\/vict
That picture doesn't look like a jewel......... not at all.

??? What??? :confused:
Its a male Hemichromis for sure. Alot of jewels get humps. I think they look cool!

ttl

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Those fasciatus are pretty sweet (and nasty) fish. I'd put one up against most of the 'bad arse' fish. Hope you've got a divider ready! ;)

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
cool! :)

convict: i have some of the same, bought as turquoise jewels. i also have the regular red kind with 2 spots. often on the net you will find these 2 confused or lumped together under h. bimaculatus.........

i haven't been able to find another sub-species of them yet tho.... so i guess they are still the same.......

Marcus

AC Members
Oct 14, 1998
WVC, UT, USA
Actually, the fish commonly sold as Turquoise Jewels are thought to be a cross between two different species and not a legitimate species themselves. The fish pictured above is a legit species, or at least found in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store