Jewels in a 55

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I've found over the years that their worst aggression (murderous) is toward conspecifics. While aggressive towards other species during spawning, it is more the common cichlid, "stay away from my babies!", type behavior and not, "I must kill you all!"

Mark
Interesting

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
Overstocking with jewels works best thats a reason why a lot of people tend to keep them with Mbuna. it is also why they seem to get along okay in the LFS's. without distractions of other fish they are a lot more likely to be aggressive to their own kind. I had a breeding pair in with an assorted tank of cichlids (new world) as one of my very first aquariums. they actually were the first cichlid I bred, but in the entire duration they didn't harm anyone and I didn't lose a single fish. they were just very protective of their young.

This was in a 3x2x2 aquarium. just my experience

Reactions: Frank Castle

Captain Jim

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Curious as to if you went thru with acquiring jewels, petluvr..got out of hospital, am trying to find set of Hemochromis lifalli, or good cristatus strain..any luck?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store