jungle val not doing well...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
Ok I took the vals out yesterday, trimmed the decayed and dying leaves and a bit of the roots as well. The root looked good, BTW. So replanted them making sure they are not buried deep. I shall hold off on the Excel. I know my tap water is on the softer side, but I don't want to do anything to increase the hardness. I added couple of Osmocote gel caps near the roots. The plant should get better lighting now than before. I will dose Flourish Comp about twice a week. Hopefully, this will my vals. I have added some pics - first 2 showing the black lining on the leaves that I mentioned before, thirdone after trimming and the 4th after replanting..... Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch. :)P1020707.JPGP1020709.JPGP1020711.JPG

P1020707.JPG P1020709.JPG P1020711.JPG

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Just from looking at the root structure and the crowns, I'm almost positive they are a Sag species and not a Val
It is hard to tell by just looking at pics. They still could be either Val or Sag. The best way to tell the difference is under a magnifying glass or microscope.

Also to me Val has a more "rougher" top edge and has thinner leaves from top to crown then Sag. Sag gets more "plumper" like a cactus near the base.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It doesn't look like jungle val to me, certainly not spirallis. I have both & the have noticible leaf edges but maybe I can't tell from pics. Nice healthy roots, the plants look good to me. Was it only old leaves?

I don't know why adding some crushed coral to your filter or a pinch of baking soda to raise KH if needed is less doable than ferts 2x/week but to each their own, lol. It took me quite a while to learn the value of testing as a baseline to see what happens between water changes or why plants weren't growing well when I first had soft water.

ram_g0p

AC Members
Jun 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Real Name
ramey
It doesn't look like jungle val to me, certainly not spirallis. I have both & the have noticible leaf edges but maybe I can't tell from pics. Nice healthy roots, the plants look good to me. Was it only old leaves?
It's mostly old leaves if not all. Also, I had trimmed a lot of yellow leaves very early on.... Will have to try some crushed coral in the canister.. Where can I get them, cheap?! Although, I'd like to keep my pH on the acidic side as it is now (~6.5). Thanks.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
View attachment 201813
View attachment 201812
View attachment 201811

Here's my 29, I have two 2 bulb 24" t5 NO fixtures on it. I do not dose anything. No co2. Stock is two cories, 4 neon tetras, two kuhli loaches one and one clown pleco and a bunch of rcs.

The Val's started as one plant last summer, now they have basically taken over the tank. The dwarf sag was spreading great. I'll get some pics of the front of the tank tmmrw.

I change water often enough at least 50 to 80 percent. Point I'm trying to make is give it a little bit of time, I'm not sure when exactly mine took off but it was probably at least 6 months after the tank was set up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1349400066.385493.jpg

Does this one work? I can see them on my phone.

As you can see, once they get going they can take over.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1349400066.385493.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I had to buy a 10lb bag of crushed coral, more than a lifetime supply for me & everyone I know. Do you have a club nearby? Maybe someone can hook you up, it only takes a few tablespoons in a piece of panty hose or filter media bag, 1 or 2 for a 20-29, 2 or 3 for a 40-55g IME. Limestone rocks can work a bit too or, like I said, a pinch of baking soda (you know, the Arm & Hammer kind) once or twice a week. You need to test to really know how much is there & what happens when you try to fix it so you can adjust if needed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store