Just picked up one little zebra shrimp, and there's 30+ fry in the bag, what to do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I picked up ONE zebra shrimp just for something to put with the RCS in there, noticed in the bag there is about 30 or more fry that are actually moving around in the bag(he chased it through the hornwort with the net). Now shes still in the bag acclimating and trying to herd them all into one corner of the bag, kinda funny actually).

What should(or can) I do with these little buggers, keep em? This is going in my 15 gal that I was thinking about putting all nano fish in there...They are at about 3-4 mm including tail, no final 'shrimp' shape yet, but propelling themselves.

Water is at 78 degrees, 0/0/10-15, the RCS has been happy in there. Salinity is about one tbs per 7 gallons.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Well I put a couple danios up there just to occupy space, can easily move them back to the 26 and just keep the cories(they don't care about anything else around them, heck the RCS climbs around on them sometimes).

Tank hasn't been commited to anything yet, so might just be a what the heck moment. Of course I could put them in the 26, they would last 4.3 seconds.

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
Well, did the best I could netting them en masse and letting them into the tank, I would say about 40 living swimming around.. I must admit I did have a few scoops go into the 26, they can't eat freeze dried all the time. Mashed up an algae wafer and they're all over the place scrounging for food, albeit with the 3 pandas, who are having a good time with algae-mcnuggets as well. So its just them, the RCS and zebra, and a bunch of little buggers. Have the AC20 down to low, but may have to put a sponge on the tube, although they seem to be able to at least have some decorum of control swimming.

We'll see what a $2.79 shrimp 'nets' me, I guess.

pbmax

AC Members
Aug 18, 2009
Olympia, WA
Nice score! :). And good luck with them!!

Definitely cover the intake with something (I use fine netting) and make sure they have some hides (java moss works great, so does natural loofah).

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I only quickly checked in on them this morning before work and didn't see any about. I doubt the filter got them as its cranked all the way down and they could clearly swim away from it last night. I've been meaning to get a pre-shaped little sponge at the lfs because I want to put all nano fish in there(nor do I want a AC20 in a 15 running at 10% either), hope they didn't all get sucked up in there :D.

In the <5 minute glance I couldn't find the tiger shrimp either, the cherry was just bee-boppin around as usual. Last night the fry were working their way into the gravel near all the (fake but intricate) plants. They could actually get from a-b, so I'm hoping I just need to look harder.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I fail to understand the worry over the filter. I run a Penguin 100 on a 10 gallon tank and the RCS are all over the intake eating anything that builds on it. They then swim away when finished. I have also had the RCS in a 20 with a Whisper 30, unprotected intake tube, on full. I have never found a shrimp inside a filter yet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store