Just tested my water, are these level appropiate for an Oranda?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
Petco said that 29 gallons would suffice... well that sucks. Is that the cause of my cloudy water appearance?

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I think the cloudy water is a bacterial bloom that will go away when the tank finishes cycleing. I will also say the pet stores are there to make money and the chain stores are probably the worst ones so try to research the animal before you buy it and always look at the adult size of the fish you want to get. I know that most of us have had the same thing happen when we started out unless we found a good mom and pop store

andyjs

AC Members
Jun 6, 2009
Ohio
29 for a goldfish really isn't that bad, but you will need lots of filtration. You might eventually want to try to rig up an extra canister filter or something onto the tank. You definitely need to get rid of the pleco though assuming it is a baby common pleco

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
One oranda in a 29g is fine. In fact, that is better than stuffing a comet or shubunkin in there. Singletails require more space but fancies, a bit less. Orandas DO grow large at 10-12 inches including the tail. That's about average for those who can manage that with proper tank maintenance. I have one at 10 inches in length.

As for the pleco, it depends on the personality but common plecos are an absolute nono for 29g tanks. A bristlenose pleco is the best you can find. A lot of goldfish enthusiasts keep BN plecos with goldies including me but you still need to watch out in case it might attack the goldfish. They're a little timid by nature and prefer to eat vegetative matter but will appreciate anything you give your oranda either way.

:welcome: to AC, pauhn!

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
What's your filter? You need to move and process 290g per hour.

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
I would remove the pleco. Lupe is (as always) completely correct about 29 gallons being sufficient for a fancy goldfish. Goldfish, are, however, social creatures and tend to fare much better with another of their kind. If you rehome the pleco and get another fancy goldfish, with adequate filtration, the 29 should hold you for a while, and be a very attractive tank to boot, especially if you add a little live vegetation for them to snack on.

pauhn

AC Members
Jan 2, 2010
I would love to do that, but I'm trying to avoid use of a lot of chemicals, how would I control the algae?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store