Juvenile jaguar cichlid tank mate

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Keeping fish in tanks that are too small is my biggest pet peeve. And don't put giant danios in with it. It will catch them eventually, either when they let their guard down to feed or when the light first comes on in the morning and their coming around from being listless all night. Adding a fish for absolutely no reason other than to see it attacked is senseless, irresponsible and unethical.

WYite

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
I'd rather pass with the giant danios too.. It fought with the tough common pleco before, so I don't think the danios would stand a chance

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Giant danios generally do well with RV cichlids. I've had good luck with them with lower aggression mbuna, peacocks, most Tanganyikans, and non-piscivorous haps from any of the lakes. Obviously, you'll want to avoid putting them with the larger piscivorous species like the Malawi eye-biter cichlid, and you have to be careful with the hyper-aggressive mbuna (like kenyii and auratus) and Victorian species. The aggression of a fair number of Victorians (but not all) is easily on par with mbuna.

With any RV cichlid (mbuna especially) it's usually best to add the danios first, as then they are part of the environment when adding the cichlids and are less-likely to be targeted. When adding the danios after the cichlids are established, you'll need to watch the danios and remove them if they become targets. It's usually successful with non-mbuna RV cichlids if the danios are added later, but still watch. You also have to look at the stocking rate of the tank. If you are already pushing maximum filter capacity because the tank is overstocked to control aggression, adding a school of giant danios may not be the best idea.

WYite

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
Yup. Good advice, and well noted. It's always quite tricky with cichlids. They seem to have their own personalities.
I have ten of them excluding a pleco & a rainbow shark in a 48"x18". The tank is peaceful enough to be compared to a tank of mollies, and I owe it to the monitor. He is the alpha blue zebra . Seems to have things well under control, enough for my milder yellow labs to school together with the rest.
The thing is..the mean RS would occasionally go after most of the cichlids. No harm done, but am thinking perhaps the speedy giant danios would keep him occupied enough not to bother the rest

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
IMG_20201219_132801.jpg
Alternatively, I can just put it in here as a last resort and call it a day.

Last edited:

WarTank

AC Members
Aug 22, 2020
Real Name
Aldrein Tan
Is it fine for a cichlid to eat a gecko's tail?
Heard a splash and a strong ripple in the water. Went over and saw a house gecko jumping out and scurrying to safety, without it's tail. The fish must have gotten it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store