Killie compatability

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sammyohio

AC Members
Sep 22, 2009
Can I keep my pair of Golden Killies with guppies? Will they breed in a planted 10 gallon? Heres pics of the pair, are they golden? 3 pic is tank I want to put them in.

Picture 007.jpg Picture 011.jpg Picture 025.jpg

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
These guys top out at over 4 inches, so a 10 gallon would be on the tight side to say the least. Beyond that, they're pretty strongly predatory, so small guppies and their fry would be fair game as far as their diet goes. Breeding might occur in a 10 gallon, but it seems unlikely that many fry would survive predation in such a small space. If you're really interested in this species, I would not recommend keeping them in anything smaller than a 20, and using the 10 specifically for breeding purposes. If you condition the female separately in the 10 for a week or two before hand, introduce the male, leave them for a week, then remove them, they should leave you with enough eggs/fry in the tank to raise a nice batch of youngsters. Thickets of java moss or yarn spawning mops would both be excellent choices of spawning medium.

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
NOOOOOOOO! You can keep one in a 10g but NEVER with guppies. I had one that got big enough to eat rosey red minnows. My killie was about 3in when he started eating other fish. Their mouths are HUGE! He manage to get hold of a 2in oto cat. If you have some larger more round bodied fish like platies, you can keep them with your killie.

N0bodyOfTheGoat

AC Members
Apr 25, 2010
I have Golden Panchax on my 60g (mainly African semi-predatory oddball) stock planning list, simply because they are such a tough killi and it just so happens they have lovely colouring too!

Oh and I would agree with what has been said above, from what I have read but not personally experienced...
The Panchax will view the guppy fry and even the guppy parents as snacks, once it has grown towards its maximum 4" size
At adult size, that would almost be the equivalent of you permanently living in a room that just has enough floor to fit a bed and never leaving that room. I suspect you would not be too "happy" ;)

Last edited:

kevinb120

AC Members
Jan 22, 2010
Centreville Va
I would say at least a 15g (12x12x24) or larger for a Golden Wonder, would be fine until about 3" then go larger. And yes, guppies would be gone, killifish often have mouths that open to the full diameter of their body. The gardneri killies are a bit smaller(topping out about the size of a zebra danio) would probably be ok in a 10g, but would prefer larger. They are very fast fish, so it might be a little cramped under 24" long. Never get two male killis in the same tank unless its very large.

They are quite pretty and hardy fish that don't cause any trouble as far as aggressiveness. There are countless dozens of color morphs of the gardneri(although most blue ones look virtually the same other then tiny differences), the aforementioned golden panchax gardneri is also a nice varitus (like my avitar but instead bright yellow with magenta spots). Although they will definitely go for smaller guppy fry and juvies, like a lightning bolt. Tank must also be well covered, they can fly out of there(I once had a golden gardneri that bailed)

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store