Kinda off-topic, but are mudskippers dirty?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I want mudskippers badly. When all the fish in my 29 gallon die (sorry, I know, I'm mean by that) I want some. I would make it 1/3 argonite (sp?) sand substrate on once side and 2/3 water and a few skippers. I told my mom about this and as much as she hates my tanks, she always has an interesting response. This time it was this:

"Since they spend that much time on land, wouldn't they poop and be very dirty? Wouldn't it be high maintenace and hard to clean? I remember when you were seven and you had frogs--- those were the worst things on earth!"

Well, obviously she remembers my dumb frogs, years and years ago...

Mudskipper owners, are they dirty or just as dirty as any other fish?

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
I just got my mudskippers a week ago and I will tell you that they seem pretty messy to me. I haven't kept other fish, but they do seem to eat alot and they definitely poop alot. They poop on the land and the water and pretty much everything else. I have cleaned the tank once and I basically scooped the sand off the top of the beach and put it in a bucket and then i used a hose to siphon up the top of the underwater sand into the bucket. Then I rinsed the sand several times and returned it to the tank and added dechlorinated water. I also had to wipe down all the platforms and stuff that I had in there.

Poop isn't the only messy part though, they are quite messy with their food. If I put worms in there, instead of just taking what they need, they will grab the whole pile full and drag it all around the tank, getting worms all over the place.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I have had mine for almost a year now, she has yet to poop on land...and she had a nice flat plexi ramp to climb out on so if she did, it would have been pretty obvious. my brackish tank is fairly lightly stocked, but one of my cleaner tanks.

Fishouttawater

AC Members
May 31, 2007
Milwaukee
Where is everyone getting mudskippers? I wanted Indian Mudskippers but I gave up and am looking for any species.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store