King Tiger Pleco Q's.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dave-ZZ4

AC Members
Feb 22, 2007
Schaumburg, IL
I bought a King Tiger Pleco to aid in keeping my alge under control. I've had him for 3 weeks now and have only seen him twice. I do drop in an ALge wafer every other day. The second time I saw him the tank was dark and he was munching away on the wafer. He does look healthy and happy. I am not sure where he hides during the "daylight" but he does not seem to be doing anything with the alge in the tank even with lights off.

Will he ever start coming out during the "daylight"?
Should I cut back on the wafers?
Can I get another Pleco to help with the alge?
(I was thinking a regular common Pleco)

It is a 65G tall tank with plenty of hiding space.

Note: I cannot use Oto's because they are not big enough. I have some African Knife fish and they are large enough to eat them.

TIA

charlie4486

Charlie Murphy!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 3, 2007
Orange County, CA
buying a fish to fix an algae problem usually never works. it's always better to either cut the time your lights are on or get co2 or plants that will outcompete the algae.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
L-066- King tigers- are carnivores. If you want a good small algae eater look into bristlenose plecos.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Pic?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
You should be able to keep them together. Since you may or may not know the sexes of them when you get them, be sure to put in two or more caves at opposite ends of the tank so if they are both males they can claim an area/cave of their own.

BN will appreciate real wood in the tank as well.

Dave-ZZ4

AC Members
Feb 22, 2007
Schaumburg, IL
You should be able to keep them together. Since you may or may not know the sexes of them when you get them, be sure to put in two or more caves at opposite ends of the tank so if they are both males they can claim an area/cave of their own.

BN will appreciate real wood in the tank as well.
Thanks!

I already have some stumps and 1 large and 1 medium size piece of driftwood in the tank already.

You can see the tank pics here:
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100073

KnaveTO

AC Members
Jun 7, 2007
Toronto, ON, Canada
Purchasing a pleco to consume algae in your tank is probably one of the worst reasons to buy one I have to say. Plecos require a varied diet of meat, wood and/or greens. Each species of them can require all three or only one or two of the aforemetioned. To think of them as a sole algae eater is probably one of the biggest fallacies that have been passed by aquarists the world over. Furthermore what algae they may eat will usually only be of the green kind and I have heard possibly brown as well... but I haven't seen that before as a personal experience.

If you have an algae issue you should probably look at your lighting, CO2 and fertilization regime. If any of those three are out of whck you have the potential to have an algae issue. the best way to remove algae is by scrobbing the glass and removing any leaves of plants with algae on them.

Dave-ZZ4

AC Members
Feb 22, 2007
Schaumburg, IL
Purchasing a pleco to consume algae in your tank is probably one of the worst reasons to buy one I have to say. Plecos require a varied diet of meat, wood and/or greens. Each species of them can require all three or only one or two of the aforemetioned. To think of them as a sole algae eater is probably one of the biggest fallacies that have been passed by aquarists the world over. Furthermore what algae they may eat will usually only be of the green kind and I have heard possibly brown as well... but I haven't seen that before as a personal experience.

If you have an algae issue you should probably look at your lighting, CO2 and fertilization regime. If any of those three are out of whck you have the potential to have an algae issue. the best way to remove algae is by scrobbing the glass and removing any leaves of plants with algae on them.

My original chocolate pleco ate the brown and green alge. But after around 10+ years he passed on. In my tank a Pleco can get all three of the aforementioned foods. I would have gotten another chocolate pleaco, But I was looking for something with different coloring. With the Knife fish, I am limited in what I can put into the tank.

It seems that acrylic tanks are more prone to alge than glass. I had a large corner tank in the same location and did not have the same issue with alge as I do now. I bought an acrylic 65G tall tank because the glass tank after some years leaked at a seam. It seems the taller glass tanks leak easier than the lower height tanks. I have had two tall tanks leak at the seam over the years.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store