Koi/Goldfish Hybrids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
That is a gorgeous hybrid Flaringshutter! I love the black velvet coloring.

Sygnus has got to be one of the coolest looking goldfish/koi I have ever seen....I want one! If I only had the water room. There is also a "mirror" koi that I want at my LFS...not sure if it is a hybrid. It is almost robotic in appearance...must get a pic.
I know that "Mirror Carp" are just a genetic mutation of the Common Carp. Perhaps that's all this Mirror Koi is.

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
Precisely, Vicious.

You can see a wild-type mirror carp here: http://fisc.er.usgs.gov/Carp_ID/html/cyprinus_carpio.html

Of course, it is possible to have a hybrid between goldfish and the mirror carp as well, but it should still show the markers I mentioned in the article above.

Thanks for all the compliments on Sygnus, everyone! :)

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Sorry to highjack your thread Flaring but while we're on the subject of koi hybrids...I have a fish I bought as a "Butterfly Koi". It has the enlarged scales like a mirror carp. I've never done any research on this type of koi. Is it just a genetic mutation of koi or a mix of koi/Mirror Carp genes?

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
doitsu koi (mirrorscale) are belived to have german carp in their ancestry. That's anecdotal though, not scientific.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Ok, I kind of figured that. Thanks!

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
I'd like to see one of the mirrors in person. That sounds really interesting.

I had to give up on my hybrid.. she was lovely, but at almost 2 feet long already, she was twice the size of my largest comet Alexei. So she's gone back to the pond guy. :(

(Is that Napoleon in your avatar, Iris? It's a great photo.)

BoCoMo

In need of grace
Mar 2, 2009
Missouri
Awesome!!!!

Great article! Thanks for the info! :thm:

Once my house is finished getting my pond up and running is going to be a top priority! I will be looking into these baby's! Thanks again!

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store