Krib Breeding..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Oscar_Wild

"Fish are friends, not food!"
Nov 27, 2002
Salina, KS
www.2-one.net
At what size do kribs become sexually mature and able to reproduce?

Oscar_Wild

AMiR UNC

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
I just had my first batch of fry...the male is probably a little less than 3 inches and the female a bit smaller maybe 2.5inches.

Oscar_Wild

"Fish are friends, not food!"
Nov 27, 2002
Salina, KS
www.2-one.net
My pair of kribs seem to hide all the time. The female has been more active recently though. She seems to have taken up residence in a small flower pot in the tank. The male doesn't seem to be interested in defending the area around the pot though. I wonder if a couple of small dither fish would be useful in promoting defensive behavior in the male, or at least make him more active? If so, what small fish to use as dithers?

Tank parameters
20g
ph 7.2
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5ppm
temp 78f

Thanks,

Oscar_Wild

AMiR UNC

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
In my tank I have tetras, cories, 2 bristlenose, and a red tailed shark with the pair of kribs. My kribs weren't aggressive to any of the others until now that they had their fry. From what I understand kribs are fairly shy and having other fish would encourage them to come out more rather than hide all the time. But I don't think other fish plays any role in their breeding potential.

The female in the flowerpot is a good sign. In addition to the very dark red/purple belly of the female you will see her "dancing" for the male by shaking in front of him. If the male is interested after what is sometimes a fairly lengthy courtship (my female was trying to spawn for about 3 weeks) he will follow her into the flowerpot.

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
my kribs just had their 3rd batch of fry. they were unsuccessful with the first.

the 2nd are growing nicely, but the female now sees them as a threat to the new babies and chases them away as vigorously as the other fish in the tank. the male still half-way looks out for the "older" babies, but put more time into looking after the "new"ones.

they presented the 2nd batch to the tank the weekend before thanksgiving. the 3rd batch was presented today.

ive made a few extra rock piles in the tank now so that they(the 2nd batch) will have a place to escape the females wrath when she takes her new fry out for strolls around the tank.

my male is around 3 inches and my female is roughly 2.5 inches or less. on this 3rd batch, they havent produced half of the number they produced with the 2nd.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store