krib problems

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

polosniffer

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
I just set up a 20 gal with a pair of kribs a school of 10 zebra danios as dithers. Unfortunately my kribs aren't behaving in the amicable fashion that I expected. The female's been attacking the male every time she's caught sight of him. I let it go on for about 3 days thinking that they might settle down, but I've finally removed him into a separate container. He was cowering in a corner and his tail and fins are somewhat ripped and his colour has completely drained. I'm pretty sure I sexed them correctly - it isn't particularly hard with kribs. I always thought krib pairs were supposed to settle down really easily. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I try getting a new male for the tank or should I allow my beligerent female to lead a single life? Oh, one more thing - I've been trying to feed them flake food (which was what I was told were being fed at the store). The female has started grabbing at sinking flakes but spitting them out immediately (immediate rejection - no chewing and spewing like an oscar). I've tried generic flakes, 'TetraCichlid' flakes, and Nutrafin cichlid pellets - no luck. Will she start eating them as she gets more hungry or should I try something else?
Thanks - sorry for the wordy post.

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Hmmm, Not many people seem to give feedback on kribs huh.
well 10 zebra danios...nice in my tank i've got
(18gal)

2 krib (paired, hopefully will spawn)
2 zebra danios
2 pristella tetras
2 algae eaters
mics no of riverstream platy's

My platy's recently gave birth to 15 babies, 14 healthy the other one doesn't look so good.
anyway about your rejection problem, i've a few questions
1) whats are the size differences
2) how is your tank aquascaped (caves, plants etc.)
3) whats the length, depth and height of your tank, is it long enough (thought it shouldn't really matter)

flakes should be fine mine seem to look like they spit it out straight away too no chewing nothing, and let it fall to the bottom go for another flake and do the same thing, after this happens they return to a fallen flake and eat it up little and i mean little bits at a time.
But you should visit this page
Compliments of..."forgot name"
when i find the member i'll post his name, but a great informative page

ALL CREDIT DUE TO Tim Bo
http://hjem.get2net.dk/Best_of_the_Web/intropage.html

This should sort out some of your troubles..but I wouldn't see a reason for taking back a krib or getting another one...

have fun...c how you go

Last edited:

polosniffer

AC Members
Jun 12, 2003
Thanks for that website mystroe - it was pretty infomative. The kribs are similar sized - the female's about 1 1/4" and the male is about 1 1/2". Both looked healthy and were initially brightly coloured. The tank is a normal, standard sized 20gal - approximately 24" X 12" X 14". It's fairly heavily aquascaped - two rocks with holes running through them to form small overhangs, one big piece of bogwood, and a decent amount of plant cover - 2 amazon swords and some bunches of java ferns and java moss. There's definitely no shortage of cover, though admittedly, I don't have one of the little flowerpot caves that kribs are supposed to enjoy. I know you suggested that I shouldn't bother taking the male back, but I really don't think he's going to survive unless the female drastically changes her behaviour in the near future. I'm surpprised at how timid he is - he doesn't put up any fight but just tries to flee as the female nips at his fins. Considering the section on Tim Bo's website on the female frequently rejecting the male, I was thinking of trying to find a larger or at least more dominant looking male partner.

Skittyfish

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
South Central,KY
Visit site
I have 1 female and 3 male albino kribs in my plante 72. They really like freeze dried bloodworms, but they eat anything that goes in, I have been used tetra cichlid mini granules. Anyway, with one female it's been rather interesting. She pretty much ignores the rest of them, while there is a dominant male, the other two continually try to but him out. Lots of lip locking, pushing and shoving. I have lots of other fish with them and they don't seem to bother any of them.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
Did you buy then at the same time? And do they have enough caves to hide in that they both have personal "homes"?

And sorry to hijack the thread but I was wondering too. I have a paired and breeding pairof kribs in a 30 gallon that has plenty of pots and caves in it. Can I add a second pair of kribs to the mix? I also have 1 CAE, 2 paradise fish, and a month old baby krib thats on it's own now.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
My new kribs are the opposite of yours. The male is bullying the female. Luckily, he spends most of the time hiding, but when he comes out he likes to chase her like crazy.

They're in a 20 long with 3 cherry barbs, a pleco (bristlenose), and an African Butterfly Fish.

I was told to wait a few more weeks to see if they pair up.

Eric

Mystroe_TheMyst

AC Members
Dec 16, 2002
australia
Visit site
Yeah O-man21 I wouldn't put another pair in, I know how you feel i was tempted to add another pair in there, but its not really what I would do. But Polosniffer your tank sounds pretty much right, not sure what the problem is. Hmmm if you really think its that bad and it sounds like it. Take Either her or him back, which one is up to you, but I never take a fish to my lfs that has been injuryed (they might think i'm not a good fish keeper) but I wouldn't get a bigger male, not me anyway people would disagree but its just they way I like it better up to the female :D but yours sounds more like one of those psyco cichlids that come along everynow and again.

whateva you do, good luck

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
polosniffer (I though you ate polo's, not sniff them :)) Many fish do the spit-the-flakes ploy. In some of my smaller tanks, especially those with dwarfs, they will take a bite and then spit the pieces out and swallow the smaller bite-sized flakes. I usually end up putting flakes in a plastic cup, then fill with aquarium water, swoosh the water around a bit and then gradually poor the flake-water in the tank. This way the flakes are soft and are easier to swallow the first time. Works in smaller tanks if you're trying to keep the water clean otherwise you've got miniscule bits of flakes that the fish spit out that lay to rest on the tank floor, plants, etc.
If the male really looks like he won't survive, then it may be a good idea to take him back or atleast give a new home for the time being. When you're in the store, it is usually a good idea to look for an already nesting pair. I have had success adding a second female to a tank where the existing female is bullying the male. Then she suddenly has some competition and diverts her attention to the second female. Once she has chased the new arrival away (you eventually remove her a day or so later) then she might take to the male a little softer. Don't be suprised if things completely reverse in time, and the male is suddenly the aggressor. If I read your post correctly, you don't have a 'proper'cave, I would suggest getting one or two.

O-man21, I have been able to add two pairs of Kribs in a 30 gallon (that was waaaaay planted). The fish couldn't see each other easily since there were many, many soft obstacles to break their field of vision. I would advise against getting another pair in general for a 30 gallon but it is possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store