Kribs acting funny (mating) maybe

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
i agree with o-man. dont isolate them. let nature take her course. thats what ive been doing now for the last few months and i have more kribs than i need thats for sure. i finally got my grow out tank cycled for them and the last week ive been transplanting them from the big tank to it. just a little more growth and theyll being going to the LFS for trade. good luck, but dont be discouraged if things dont work out the first time. once they get it right, theyll probably be breeding more than you want them to.

Converseballer

AC Members
Feb 5, 2003
Buffalo NY
Visit site
OK say later when they breed like rabbits and i have a lot of kribs:)...... and some of the fry live would u recomend taking to my LFS? Because i dont have the room right now for another tank

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
How big is hte tank they are in? Anything over 30 gallons I would assume you could keep 2 pairs in. My LFS owner siad I could sell the babies to him, "as long as you can tell they are kribs", so..I htink, once they have the body shape and a little color like the parents, you can give them away.

P.S: Has anyone ever heard of this food called "New Life Spectrum"?

Converseballer

AC Members
Feb 5, 2003
Buffalo NY
Visit site
they r in a 50.... but there r otehr fish in there. how much did u get for the fish when u brought them back to the lfs...i was just wondering to make sure they werent totally ripping me off ya know :) How long could the fry if the lfs doesnt want them right away stay in a 10 gallon? o yeah how exactly do u pronounce Kribesenis(if thats how u spell it cuz i have heard many differant ways.

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I aven't had them long enough to sell the babies..as a matter of fact they ate the first batch of fry.
They guy is selling the juvies for $8 bucks each, I'm assuming $4, maybe less.
crib-en-sis.
EDIT: the 10 gallon hting, it depends on hte size and how many, with good filtrationand the max being 50 fry, I would say about 2 weeks

Converseballer

AC Members
Feb 5, 2003
Buffalo NY
Visit site
wow i dont think i will get 4$ cuz thats what they sell for here. still thats a lot for a person like me! i think i am gonna buy a 10 gallon tank and get is cycled so its will be ready for fry later on.

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
ive only talked to one LFS about exchanging my krib fry for store credit, and they told me they wanted them to be at least an inch long and that they may give me $1.50-2.00 apiece for them. my first successful clutch is now approaching this size, a couple are actually well over an inch.

my experience with kribs has been this:
2 pair in my 55g community tank didnt work. the dominant pair were ruthless to the sub pair, so i gave the dom pair away.

once the fry get so big, or when the parents spawn again, the female turns on the existing fry as if they were other fish. the male actually protected the fry alot longer than the female, but he eventually turned on them as well.

its taken me a while to get a grow-out tank set up, and as a result, i believe i have a mixture of 3 to 4 spawns currently in there, none of which is being tended by the parents. this over- crowding has had an impact on their spawning and behavior, i believe. they havent shown spawning behavior in quite some time(just the last day or so this has changed) and they appear to be alot more tolerant of the rest of the tank coming around the nest. ive spent the last couple of days removing babies and i suspect once they are gone, the spawning will resume. im not an expert on these fish, but a good source of info is at www.thekrib.com

i believe its pronounced "crib-n-sis" but i may be wrong.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store