Kribs as single fathers

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Interesting that temp was a gender factor. Now that you said that I may have read that before...We had hard water when we had kribs for the longest...but that was back in the days of UGF & small water changes with a pH drop likely. AFAIR our tanks were a fairly consistant temp...given that was back with the very unreliable clamp on heaters :eek: Bump them & who knew what temp might happen:(:mad:

I think I've read that sometimes gender is detemined in the egg stage, sometimes after hatching. I wish I could remember better the circumstances of each round but too long ago & too much krib breeding:D

You have way, WAY more cichlid breeding experience than I do WYite.

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Interesting that temp was a gender factor. Now that you said that I may have read that before...We had hard water when we had kribs for the longest...but that was back in the days of UGF & small water changes with a pH drop likely. AFAIR our tanks were a fairly consistant temp...given that was back with the very unreliable clamp on heaters :eek: Bump them & who knew what temp might happen:(:mad:

I think I've read that sometimes gender is detemined in the egg stage, sometimes after hatching. I wish I could remember better the circumstances of each round but too long ago & too much krib breeding:D

You have way, WAY more cichlid breeding experience than I do WYite.
I'm not saying that pH and hardness couldn't or don't play a factor, fishorama. I'm just pointing out two factors that are definitely known to affect gender, at least in some genera.

I hated those clamp on heaters. I was in college when the more reliable, submersed heaters started coming down in price, and no where within 100 miles was carrying them. So I ordered mail order out of the back of TFH. You had to write a letter with your order, and payment was check or money order, or COD, and I always did COD since check and money orders were always delayed. Took about two years for me to save and order, save and order and save and order again to finally replace all my clamp on heaters. Ahhhh, the good old days, lol. ?:rolleyes:

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, I didn't take what you said in any bad way, WYite :) I don't know why ours kribs were like that, just a theory on our part. Actual facts are always better than guessing but there is so little data sometimes...

So, just now, discussing this gender pH/temp thing with my husband, he said the our usual krib tank got western sun at certain times of year. Huh, I didn't remember that, but maybe it was temp after all! A walk down memory lane:D

It's funny about TFH mag ads. We wanted to try plants (a few times) & 1 of the ads was a guy who lived 2 miles from us in DE. We went to his house to pick them out, how cool, a basement full! Of course we killed many, lol.

We didn't get to submersible heaters until a few years into my husband's professional wages...oooh! what a difference! Then I loved the since recalled black Stealths. We only had 1 or 2 bad 1s but returned all we found (lots). Cash & a couple glass Visitherms, I was happy...then I found a couple more...I wonder if they still replace them, lol, & how many more I may come across...

Reactions: Wyomingite
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store