Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Kuhli Loach Kill

Discussion in 'General Freshwater' started by Bio123, Mar 27, 2010.

1. Bio123

Bio123 AC Members

Mar 27, 2010
    Knowing that kuhli loaches swim up filters, I had a net on the outflow of my HOB filter and a strainer in the inlet. Somehow, these loaches keep getting shredded no matter how I prevent them from getting into my filter. :nilly: I have so many strainers that the are impending the water flow in my filter. :mad2: Help!!! :feedback:

2. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    May 24, 2017
    Josh
    Prefilter?

[​IMG]

3. WeedCali

WeedCali Certified Dubhead

Adam
    Oct 27, 2015
    Adam
    they go against the current into the filter housing? i dont see how that works. my fiddler crab does that but she has legs and can walk on land. lol a fish though?

4. Bio123

Bio123 AC Members

Mar 27, 2010
    @ jpappy789: I have a strainer, but I don't have anything but a net on my outflow. My filter is a top fin 10 gallon filter.

@ WeedCali: That's what I can't figure out! I hear a splashing noise overnight and then I check my aquarium in the morning and hear a grinding noise from my impeller. Then I see chunks of fish flying out of my outflow, and then my ammonia rockets and kills 1 or 2 of my fish. Even though I put an instant ammonia neutralizer tablet when I saw this, one of my more delicate balloon rams died.:swear:

5. dixienut

dixienut AC Members

Mar 8, 2015
    kulies and weather loaches love to swim against the current, and try like the dickens to get into powerheads,.. mine do anyway,..

but if you have a power head where they cant get into like with an airhose into the top part and a cover on the out put they may leave the filters alone., as they will get their fun with the power head,..

6. Bio123

Bio123 AC Members

Mar 27, 2010
    How would you fit a net or cover over the outflow to prevent any gaps for the kuhli loaches to get through?

7. James0816

James0816 AC Members

Jul 13, 2015
    Pre-filters are definately your best line of defense. They can fit snuggly over the intake tubes.

Next is a nifty little mod you can do to your HOB. Get you some of the plastic craft grid. Cut out a small piece and silicone it at the outflow from the HOB. Aqueaon makes filter similar to this mod.

8. Cerianthus

Cerianthus AC Members

Aug 24, 2013
    I found many other fish in the filter box but never a kuhli. Although I would like to maximize the volume of water, how about dropping water level a bit (1/2"-1") and see if they still end up in the filter box??

9. J double R

J double R The Devil

Jonathan
    Apr 14, 2011
    Jonathan
    Ammonia neutralizer tablet? Try getting a more reliable water conditioner, such as Seachem Prime.

What do your ammonia levels spike to when this happens?

Plenty of fish are able to jump/swim against a high current if they want to, your Kuhlii loach deaths are proof of this. :)

also.. What kind of filter are you using that a fish can make it to the impeller, and then the remains of said fish are able to bypass the filter media and be discharged into the tank? It would seem to me that any remains that were small enough to get through an intact media cartridge/basket would be too small to recognize. Easy enough to understand how a Kuhlii loach would make it TO the impeller.. but the remains getting past your filter media does not compute.

10. jpappy789

jpappy789 Plants need meat too

Josh
    May 24, 2017
    Josh
    When you said they were impeding the flow IN your filter I assumed you meant whatever you put on your intake was slowing down the filter. A regularly cleaned prefilter shouldn't.