Kuhli Loach pH level?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrohnieBoy

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
Northern Kentucky
Can anyone tell me the pH levels that their Kuhli Loaches are kept at? As usual, I am seeing many different ranges that are 'acceptable' on the web. I figure I will get the best answer from people who have some.

Thanks. :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I have kuhli loaches in three different tanks, the lowest pH is 7.0, the highest is 7.3, or thereabouts. As with most fish, a stable value is much more important than a specific one. Most fish will thrive within a range, as long as it isn't too far from their preferred waters.

I do have one tank that has breeding kuhli's. There's one adult pair, and at least 9 babies from 2 different clutches. This tank has a pH of 7.2, lots of wood, lots of plants.

Roland

worlds last gunslinger
I'd say anywhere between 6.5 and 7.5 is acceptable. Khullis are extremly hardy fish which will tolerate conditions many other fish wouldnt (although obviously you would want to keep them in desirable conditions).

Like Orion Girl said, stable water parameters are most important.

Orion girl - how many loaches did you have in the tank they bred in? Id love to breed them, Im a big fan of the khulli (an underrated fish in my opinion). Ive heard their eggs are bright green.

cheers

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sadly, I haven't gotten to see the eggs. There were originally 3--one striped, and 2 solids. The striped one pretty well ignores the solids completely. I suspect that they lay their eggs within a cavity in some driftwood, or within a tunnel they built into the root ball of a plant. The full story can be found in Bottom Dwellers (Kuhli Loach Naughtiness!).

I recently moved a couple of the juveniles into a 2.5 with a betta, and am optimistic that I can get a picture of the little buggers. In the main tank, they stay under cover unless it's feeding time or I poke around, moving things. In the smaller tank, they will hang out more readily. They are among my more favorite fish as well!

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I've kept kuhli's in 8.2 before with no problems. Actually the one that I did now has water around 7.0. Yeah I know, it was mean. I was a newbie...Actually I do believe though that if you get aquacultured ones that were raised in it you probably could have them live in a pH that high and they'd live a good long life, albeit probably not breed.

CrohnieBoy

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
Northern Kentucky
REPLY ALL:

Thank you all for the input. My tank's pH sits at 7.5. From what I have heard here, that should be fine.

I am not getting them yet. I still want to get some driftwood in my tank. I have a petrified wood cave and plants, but would like to have the driftwood in place before adding the loaches.

Again, thank you all for responding.

:)

catlover54

Registered Member
Jan 10, 2020
Can anyone tell me the pH levels that their Kuhli Loaches are kept at? As usual, I am seeing many different ranges that are 'acceptable' on the web. I figure I will get the best answer from people who have some.

Thanks. :)
Hi I have 3 Kuhli Loaches and Rasboras,neons,peppered cat,glow light tetras and my pH is 6.6 and they are doing all fine.I've had them for a year now.

Reactions: Mssmiles

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Hi I have 3 Kuhli Loaches and Rasboras,neons,peppered cat,glow light tetras and my pH is 6.6 and they are doing all fine.I've had them for a year now.
Welcome! Keep in mind you brought back a 17yr/old thread here. Best to start your own if you have your own concern, etc.

In regards to this pH thing, unless it's a super specific breeding project you're after, you'll want to keep your tank's pH where your tap water pH is at.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store