Laetacara araguaiae

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I picked up 4 young Laetacara araguaiae - should probably take a few pictures once they are adjusted. Basically what I think will be two pairs (but they are not mature yet) for my 40B. They seem to have a bit of subtle colouring even though they are not full grown but i'm not sure they are as docile as the lit suggest as the two males were chasing each other a bit. Seems the smaller male is a bit more aggressive than the larger one. I couldn't find one of the females at feeding time but she might still be settling in. Hopefully she will turn up for breakfast....

Noroom4shoe

AC Members
Jun 10, 2021
Interesting, , seporating them may be necassary, but try adding more hide outs, even pve see or a mug on its side, Then they can claim territories and retreat to territories. I hope your beautifull fish do well!

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Interesting, , seporating them may be necassary, but try adding more hide outs, even pve see or a mug on its side, Then they can claim territories and retreat to territories. I hope your beautifull fish do well!
This is the tank - it is impossible for me to find anyone in the later 2/3rd of the tank:
xqq.jpg

Noroom4shoe

AC Members
Jun 10, 2021
Wow! Nice tank! I am surprised that they are fighting with so much to hide in and break up line of sight. I think I would give them a week or 2 to settle in,. maybe the will work it out? If not, figure out the pairs and sell one pair on craigslist.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I can't wait to see how they age into their pretty colors. This is a new laetacara species for me, curiceps & dorsigera are the only 1s I've seen back in the day but now there are more! Who wouldn't love a fish commonly called a purple smiling cichlid?!? Google pics look awesome!

If I ever decide to keep cichids again, laetacara, apistos & (maybe) discus are on my short list...

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
They did settle down; and all four of them were out in front eating by morning. They really are quite lovely without their breeding colours; though as you said they should be a bit nicer when they get older and start courting. Unfortunately from what I've read they require lower ph to actually breed with success and right now i can only provide them ph 7.0 water. After i move in a year i'll slowly introduce them to a tank with lower ph. Don't think they actually require black water but probably around 6.3-6.5 range. Either way one thing is for sure they love to eat ;)

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Here is a picture of them. I do not believe they are adults. They are quite eager for food and will now rush to the front of the tank every time i walk near... as many cichlid do ...

l1.jpg

Reactions: Lalo J.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store