large aquarium decor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
I was wondering how you all thought about large decorations like this one for a 29 gallon (30 in x 12 in x 24" high).

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+6635+18456&pcatid=18456

edit: this is the one I was looking at in Petsmart:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752221&keepsr=0&clickid=prod_cs (It's pretty large for a 29 g tank.)

The tank so far just has neons and plan on oto and corys in the future.

so far I have plants, but it definitely needs a centerpiece. I was thinking driftwood but I dont' want brown water. They have some nice ones artificial decor at Petsmart. (not actual cave ones, just ones where the fish can dart in and round) Thanks for your help.

PS. I was also thinking slate and natural rock, but I want something higher and I know slate and rocks can only cover the bottom depths.

Last edited:

Inglorious

AC Members
Aug 26, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Personally I like having decor like driftwood and rock piles, but I think thats because they give the tank depth and the fish have something to interact with. Those pieces at petsmart would be fine, otherwise designsbynature.net has a nice selection of artificial driftwood for sale. As for another rock option you can use lava rock. I have my tank full of it for my cichlids and they love it, it stacks rather easily, and I was able to pick it up at a landscaping store for $0.50/lb.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
why not go with the real deal? At my local petco they have a ton of driftwood from 4-6 bucks, and they have never leaked anhting into my water or changed it's color. The price is steep, but you can find good looking pieces, and not have to worry about shipping or getting something that wasn't treated properly

Ara

Catquarium
Feb 4, 2010
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Hah, someone just gave me that second piece free from PetSmart because it had al little hole in it.. I have been kind of wondering whether to use it myself (once I patch the hole)..

Up close, sadly, it does look pretty fake. I was wondering if some moss would actually adhere to it, becasue that would help..

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I've had luck leaving a few things of gravel on top of wherever i want the moss, and eventually the java moss attaches itself to the object, and will grow around the unsightly weight.

xVitox

Daphnia Wrangler
Feb 16, 2010
Downingtown, Pa
I would say get real driftwood and then either soak it in water for a while or boil it in water. This will get rid of the brown water. I have done this before it fixes it. Nothing beats a good piece of real driftwood. Rockpiles are nice as well, make sure to glue it together, so it does not collapse

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
I tend to prefer real as opposed to replicas too and soaking/boiling really does take away the tinting if you don't want it. That said though, it is a nice piece and workable if you position it right with your other decor.

Posted on mobile.aquariacentral.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store