Large water droplets inside aquarium glass lid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbarr

AC Members
Feb 19, 2018
I have a 180 gallon freshwater aquarium that was set up about ten months ago. The aquarium has three glass lids and I have LED lights on top of the lids. I keep the water level almost touching the lids. While I was doing the last water change I noticed very large water droplets on the underside of the lids. The water droplets are black and brown and they are located directly under the LED lights.

Has anyone seen this issue before? Could this be caused by flake food getting caught in the water droplets and the heat from the lights? Do I need to lower the water level in the aquarium?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Surface agitation and a high level will compound this issue. The lights produce heat and some moisture will collect there and is just a fact. Even airborne bacteria will develop in a moist and warm environment. Regular cleaning will minimize it, but not eliminate it.

Reactions: dudley

Rbarr

AC Members
Feb 19, 2018
Rbishop, I think you for your reply. Now I know that I will have to clean the underside of the lids at each water change. I will also lower the water level about 1/2 inch from now on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store