Largemouth Bass

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
It was in the tank only for about a half an hour. I don't think that's a big deal, and I already released it so I really can't do anything about it.
You may no longer be able to do anything about it, but it is a big deal...even 10 seconds in your aquarium is long enough for that bass to pick up a virus, bacteria, or parasite.

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes
Yea, but there's a good bet bet no one from DNR is going to come in my backyard and ask if I have caught any fish in my 30 foot wide creek in Illinois, let alone ask to see my aquarium! The chances are slim to none, and I'm willing to take the chance over buying $8 cichlids when bluegills, in my opinion, are much cooler and they're free!
1. Perhaps they should.

2. You are decrying yourself as the definition of 'irresponsible aquarist', and seem to have little regard for any state laws that could apply to you...how unfortunate for yourself, your fellow citizens, and your local ecosystem.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
Yea, but there's a good bet bet no one from DNR is going to come in my backyard and ask if I have caught any fish in my 30 foot wide creek in Illinois, let alone ask to see my aquarium! The chances are slim to none, and I'm willing to take the chance over buying $8 cichlids when bluegills, in my opinion, are much cooler and they're free!
gosh.. wouldnt that suck if you posted that on a website with 70,000+ members and SOMEONE happened to know where that was and called? ;)

laws are there for a reason.. and not to be broken. some may sound stupid, but hey, who's it gonna hurt if you follow them? nobody.

mooosic

AC Members
Aug 16, 2006
Knoxville, TN

Toirtis

Keeper of strange fishes

xpmr5

AC Members
Apr 11, 2007
1. Perhaps they should.

2. You are decrying yourself as the definition of 'irresponsible aquarist', and seem to have little regard for any state laws that could apply to you...how unfortunate for yourself, your fellow citizens, and your local ecosystem.[/quote

What would happen if you caught a fish, put it in your livestock on yoar boat and then released it? Is that legal?

hatcheridiot

Call me crazy...Crazy
Apr 19, 2007
Washington State
It depends on the state and the species of fish in my state.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
What would happen if you caught a fish, put it in your livestock on yoar boat and then released it? Is that legal?
It is legal in most States to release a caught fish back into the same body of water if you do not leave that body of water with the fish, but not all States allow this! Once you leave the water you caught a fish it is illegal in all States to release them back.

In fact, live tanks on boats are ILLEGAL in some States because ppl were dumping the water in the lakes causing invasive issues (mostly plants like milfoil that they could not even see in the tank w/ a naked eye, but had spores)! :eek:

hatcheridiot

Call me crazy...Crazy
Apr 19, 2007
Washington State
Very true. Infact it is also illegal (once off the lake) to transport wild animals. That would imply that you couldn't even get your fish from a private pond. Unless private pond fish aren't considered 'wild'.:huh: If they're not, I don't see any harm of obtaining a fish from a private pond then. Provided you don't return it to the pond (or anywhere else) and thereby risking it's other inhabitants.

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
All natural water bodies are considered the jurisdiction of the States wildlife and fish management agency. The land and "pond" may be privately owned, but the actual water and wildlife therein are the ownership of the State - and yes, I'm being serious here.

Now, if the pond is man-made and privately stocked, then this is seperate matter, but again it is regulated by the State (i.e size limitations is one example) and has restrictions as well as permits enforcing the use(s) of the water and the wildlife (i.e. cant charge for fishing, can't remove live fish from property etc.). Some states require nets and fencing to keep "true" wildlife from carrying away any fish in the ponds i.e. Herons, racoons, etc.

Just FYI ;)

This is a very serious topic, that most people blow off :(

It's almost like the cliche - "It won't happen to me!"

It's kind of the same mentality; "It's only one fish", or "It was only in the tank for 10 minutes..."

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store