Larger fish..bred smaller?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Disclaimer on bottom
A point came out in one thread that stated large fish are good for large tanks. I Just dont think this is fair. Why cant I keep a tiger shovelnose in a 50 gallon? or larger fish in smaller tanks?
Its just not Fair (yea..lifes not fair)

An Idea:

We can breed colors in fish. We can breed certain chararistics (mispelled) in fish. I wonder, Is there ANY way to breed fish to grow smaller? Like max at 10 inches instead at 4 feet? That would allow EVERYONE access to fish that only certain poeple with Large tanks have....

Maybe saving the runts (the once smaller then the rest) in a breeding group and breed the runts togethor? Yes. its unnatural..but keeping fish in a tank is unnatural. By maxxing out Oscars at 4 inches, one can keep several in a 55 gallon tank. I think This idea can change the fish keeping industry.

Can it be Done?

Disclaimer: This is an honest question. No flames please. No rudeness will be tolerated. If you dont like the topic..dont read it. Thank you.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
That's not a effective husbandary technique because genetics works in fish are similar to humans,example,2 short parents a short father,a short mother may get a tall son,same with fishes,but as i said before,all what i said is i thought of.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Makes sense. I just thought this idea would bring alot more to the fish hobby.

Tom Griffin

AC Members
Aug 18, 2000
Cleveland, OH, USA
www.tomsfish.net
a runt is a genetic malformation. its size is usually a visual manifestation of problems that are likely much more severe under the surface.

To develop a strain of a specie that is significantly smaller woudl require an extended time frame with coinsistant conditions that favor smaller specemins...and at the point you produced consistantly smaller specemins, without the return to the natural size...you woud essentially be creating a new species.

Somethign that in the framework of geological time is easy enough...but for the length of time you are gonna be keeping fish...I seriously doubt you are gonna evolve out a new species...

unless you breed for genetic deformations.

then you are simply wrong....

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
i thought runt was referring to a small individual which lacks growth hormones but Tom Griffin said it was a mutant,in that case,it is not possible because mutants are sometimes infertile or not a good mate for females that choose the mates.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
would it be hard for a scientist (not me of course) to mess with that specific dna strain that controls size of a fish? If they can..would it even be profitable?

If they can make GLOW in the Dark fish (which they did)........I wonder what they can do about size.....

In the end though, probably wont be profitable to experiment and finally get that fish, then breed them in the millions for shipment throughout the world.

Also, remembering about the genetically modified corn (where countries REFUSED to feed their starving people with in fear of mutating with the corn they grow). Oh wait. whats the chances of a genetically created oscar (to grow smaller) to escape to the wild where their natural habitat is and breed, forever changing that species? Not a big chance......Its an Idea though.

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
maybe they just rationed the growth hormone out of the pituary glands.

Argento13

AC Members
Nov 29, 2002
Iowa
Visit site
They have done this with chickens, Bantams are a "midget" breed of a standard sized chicken. How long this took i do not know but some breeds of Bantams have been around for hundreds of years.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
really? if it was done a hundreds of years ago, I wonder how they did that? No dna splicing in that timeframe.

Qsmon

Registered Member
Dec 3, 2002
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Survival of the Weakest?!??!
I think most tropical that have been kept in tanks have already shrank in size as compared with their wild counterparts generations removed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store