Largest Cory Species?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
Largest Corydora Species?

I have been doing alot of research on fish this weekend and have been looking for the largest species of cory's. The problem that i have found is that alot of different websites post varying lengths for almost all of the species.

My question is what is REALLY the largest species of corydora catfish and how big does it really get?

Is their such a thing a species of corydora that reaches the length of 3-4 inches?

Thanks - Jighead

Last edited:

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
Likely canidates for this seem to be:

The Barbatus Cory

The Emerald or Green Cory

The Elegant Cory

The Bronze Cory

The Peppered Cory

These are most of the corydora that i have found on the internet to grow over 2 inches. However, this is just what i have read and otherwise have no experience.

Please add on if you feel there are other good canidates.

- Jighead

Jighead

Dwarf Cichlid Fanatic
Mar 5, 2006
Maybe I would get better answers in the catfish forum. If i get no answers by tomorow afternoon that's what ill do.

- Jighead

ty15906

I wish I could fit in my tank
Mar 2, 2005
My LFS has a species of corydora that is well over4"! Not sure what species it is, but it is huge!

monkey_toes

"Maybe it's a hybrid"
Feb 7, 2006
Southwest Florida
Barbatus are probably the largest available species, but when some ichthyologist gets around to a good hard look at the genus we now consider Corydoras, I bet they're not Corydoras at all. There are a few cory relatives that get big — you could look for brown hoplo cats (8"), Callichthys callichthys (6"), porthole cats (5"), or flagtail cats (5"). They are all a lot like cories, only bigger, which means a big tank due to their schooling habits.

As far as actual cories, aeneus (green or bronze cory) can get to over 3". There are also Brochis (look like aeneus with a dorsal fin that goes further down the back) that will push 4".

You can find all of them here: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/callicht/INDEX.PHP

Lypress

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2019
Largest Corydora Species?

I have been doing alot of research on fish this weekend and have been looking for the largest species of cory's. The problem that i have found is that alot of different websites post varying lengths for almost all of the species.

My question is what is REALLY the largest species of corydora catfish and how big does it really get?

Is their such a thing a species of corydora that reaches the length of 3-4 inches?

Thanks - Jighead
Hoplosternum littorale max size is 9.4”. Not an especially attractive fish though. I personally have 1 bronze, 3 peppered, and 3 albino. The bronze is the only adult and she’s just shy of 3”. From what I read the albino should be about 1/2” longer but body shape is identical on all 3.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, Lypress, in addition to a 13 yo thread, hoplos are not corys, handsome as they may be in the right tank. Try to comment on a more recent thread & you'll find we're open to opinions of new people. Or start your own thread with pics, we love pics! Welcome to AC!

Reactions: OrionGirl

Lypress

Registered Member
Aug 4, 2019
Yeah, Lypress, in addition to a 13 yo thread, hoplos are not corys, handsome as they may be in the right tank. Try to comment on a more recent thread & you'll find we're open to opinions of new people. Or start your own thread with pics, we love pics! Welcome to AC!
Thank you and sorry for old post. I was searching for something and it came up. I didn’t even notice the date.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That's easy to do when searching a particular subject :) It's partly because AC has lots of members & tons of threads.

Don't let this put you off AC, really, we're pretty nice (well, most of the time ;) ) Start a new thread in General Freshwater or wherever your interests or questions lie. I think you may not be able to post pics until you've hit 5 or 10 posts but I don't know the rules. Stick around, there's much to share & to learn here. I'm still learning new stuff after close to 40 years in the hobby

Reactions: Lypress
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store