Last ditch effort with bloat.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jenmcmic

AC Members
May 8, 2020
I have a firemouth with bloat that has been going on for several days and I have been administering espom salt at 1tbsp per 10 gallons, Api general cure and pimafix, today I am doing an epsom salt bath at 1tbsp per gallon for 20 min. Crazy thought that I have been considering for a last ditch effort and she will likely die is adding some human diuretic to her water. She isnt eating at all, her breathing is labored and she did appear to poop the long stringy whitish poop that I have read about today. She has also developed an extra pouch on the ventral part of her abdomen. TIA

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh dear, that doesn't look good, almost like a giant prolapse & fat lips too. I think I'd have gone with Epsom salt too. I don't know what else to suggest. I don't know the med you're trying, can you check the spelling please? Is it an antibiotic or what?

Jenmcmic

AC Members
May 8, 2020
Oh dear, that doesn't look good, almost like a giant prolapse & fat lips too. I think I'd have gone with Epsom salt too. I don't know what else to suggest. I don't know the med you're trying, can you check the spelling please? Is it an antibiotic or what?
Sorry, its furosemide and it is a diuretic for humans.

Jenmcmic

AC Members
May 8, 2020
Sorry, its furosemide and it is a diuretic for humans.
You said a prolapse, I was thinking it looked like something fluid filled, almost like she has so much fluid that it found a way to push outward. I know the picture doesn't show things very well. I didn't even think prolapse, is that something seen in fish with bloat?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'm really not sure what is wrong with your firemouth. Bloat to me is all over swelling, possibly with scales sticking out (pine coning). Swollen lips say fighting. But that big swelling by the vent is not something I've ever seen. Prolapse is usually red & smaller than your fish is showing...could it be from an injury?

Tell us more about your tank, everything. Tank size, other fish (numbers & species, sexes?), water parameters, how long you've had each fish, maintenance.

Choosing a human med. can be very risky. Is it safe for fish? Is it water soluble? What dose is safe or effective? I understand your need to "do something" but if you have other fish you may be risking them too...Sorry, more questions than help.

Jenmcmic

AC Members
May 8, 2020
She was fine (or appeared fine 3 or 4 days ago), we moved and had to transport her about 15 miles. I chose the bucket method, within a day she started swelling in her abdomen and spitting out what food she bit at. We have a rainbow shark, a bristlenose and an angel fish(female) and sure in the others sex. They will occasionally chase each other but never have they actually attacked. I would say that she is about 6-9 months old and just recently laid eggs (about a week prior). 55gallon, water parameters are mostly okay, ammonia is a bit high at .5 but not sure why (its new water) but the tank was cycled prior to placing the fish, and the ph was at 8.
I currently have her in a hospital tank by herself. Let me know if I forgot anything

Jenmcmic

AC Members
May 8, 2020
She does seem to have some pineconing but not a lot and she is more bloated than the picture may show

20200508_185441.jpg

Jenmcmic

AC Members
May 8, 2020
I didn't notice the belly protrusion until yesterday and it has doubled in size over night. And for the most part we have had all fish about the same amount of time give or take a couple weeks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store