Learn something new every day

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stefanie O'Dell

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
Destin FL
Camera Used
Iphone6splus
Hi I’m not new to aquarium. I’ve had them probably 40 years of my life and this week I discovered something completely new I’ve been doing my hobby wrong all these years. Although my aquariums have been very healthy and have not had any fish die. In fact I have raised 2 jellybeans for 10 years now and they are very vibrant and healthy and have even laid eggs. We have city water and I’ve mostly had cichlids but am getting out of that with exception to my old jellybeans. Going to get Angelfish. So I learned that I have not been keeping a biological sponge or balls in my aquarium to build the necessary biological growth needed to keep a healthy tank. All these years the media that I’ve had I would clean it with tapwater and replace it every few months completely new never allowing for a biological colony. I just upped my aquariums to a new one and in doing so I did re-use my fluorite substrate but it had been in a wet bucket for a month on my porch. I did get most of the dead? mts snails out by sifting and rinsing the sand. I put a spotted catfish from other tank in on day two and day 3 added some plants from other tank. Now I’m cycling the whole tank and will put baby angels in it.
This is a 36 gal bow front tank. I have 2 hang on filters running, hot magnum and marine land bio wheel but no wheel now.
Since reading all this I did take a sponge out of the other tank that’s been running 4 weeks and put it into the bio wheel filter. Hope to get a good bacteria colony soon this way.
I use CO2 for plants, something very new to me and will be adding it to new tank when my Y-valve comes in.
Anyway I could go on and on but want to thank all the other enthusiasts for such vital information I’ve learned and continue to learn.
New angels won’t go in for a couple of weeks.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Every hard/solid surface in your tank is a place that biological materials grow. they aren't like "bacteria colonies" that we used to see on petri dishes in high school in college. think of it more as a film that covers everything that isn't water and isn't a fish/invert in your entire tank...this is why plants, diftwood, gravel, and tank glass and equipment often feel slick or slightly slimy despite "looking" clean. this is also why you can start up the biological filter in a new tank by moving media, some sand, or even *plants* as I discovered with my last tank setup to kick start the cycle.

so, really you don't need to have specific biological media in your filter. filter floss, sponges, and other mechanical media are actually exceptional biological filters. I know many very prominent fishkeepers that use only sponge filtration or modified sump systems that only use sponges etc in their sumps. I had a Marineland C-360 for about a decade that had the first three trays filled with nothing but sponges.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Welcome to AC, Stefanie! I'm an "oldtimer" & still learning too.

You likely didn't harm your beneficial bacteria as much as you might think. They grow on all tank surfaces (substrate, glass, plants, rocks, everything!), not just in the filter(s). & with 2 filters, if you just clean 1 every other time 1 needs cleaning, even with chlorinated tap water you don't lose enough to matter too much. I do this all the time on tanks with 2 filters & lots of plants with no concerns.

It's always good to understand our hobby more, things have changed a lot in my 35+ years. Better filtration, lights, more fish & plant choices...& now with more time & money, they make everything better!!

You know, we love to see pics! I think you might have to post 5 or 10 times until you can post them but we'll wait. Oh & BTW angels are cichlids too, lol. I bet you really knew that really. It's especially good with very young fish to make sure everything is up to snuff...& that you plan on big water changes every week or so to help them grow fast & healthy.

What is your catfish? I'm a bottom feeder nut, loaches & catfish are my "things"...

I see I'm a slow typer & Jon beat me to it, ha! Cooking & posting, lol, my often usual.

Last edited:
Reactions: jm1212

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Stefanie, welcome! I think many of us have been down that road before. I know back around 1980, I did the same thing with my tanks and carried that on for years. I never had a fish last long because I didn't know about water changes, etc. back then.

Just to add to the great advice above, this would have likely been an issue with a heavily stocked tank, or one with minimal substrate or decor.

Stefanie O'Dell

AC Members
Jul 28, 2018
Destin FL
Camera Used
Iphone6splus
Stefanie, welcome! I think many of us have been down that road before. I know back around 1980, I did the same thing with my tanks and carried that on for years. I never had a fish last long because I didn't know about water changes, etc. back then.

Just to add to the great advice above, this would have likely been an issue with a heavily stocked tank, or one with minimal substrate or decor.
Thanks y’all I feel better now knowing I didn’t make serious mistakes.
I’ll post pictures once I’m allowed.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Every hard/solid surface in your tank is a place that biological materials grow. they aren't like "bacteria colonies" that we used to see on petri dishes in high school in college. think of it more as a film that covers everything that isn't water and isn't a fish/invert in your entire tank...this is why plants, diftwood, gravel, and tank glass and equipment often feel slick or slightly slimy despite "looking" clean. this is also why you can start up the biological filter in a new tank by moving media, some sand, or even *plants* as I discovered with my last tank setup to kick start the cycle.

so, really you don't need to have specific biological media in your filter. filter floss, sponges, and other mechanical media are actually exceptional biological filters. I know many very prominent fishkeepers that use only sponge filtration or modified sump systems that only use sponges etc in their sumps. I had a Marineland C-360 for about a decade that had the first three trays filled with nothing but sponges.
Yep, sponges, as well as activated carbon, even if "expended", can't be beat for surface area by anything.

Reactions: Stefanie O'Dell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store