LED Lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
I've seen the prices of some of these LED fixtures.

Just remove your tubes, and go buy some LED strip lighting on a reel from an electronics parts supplier. The rolls are usually like $20-$30 for the waterproof ones, and the controllers/remotes are roughly the same price depending on which ones you buy.

The strips have adhesive on the back so you can just stick them to your existing hood.

Get a controller and lights that can change colour and you'll have an adjustable colour LED setup for around $60.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I've seen the prices of some of these LED fixtures.

Just remove your tubes, and go buy some LED strip lighting on a reel from an electronics parts supplier. The rolls are usually like $20-$30 for the waterproof ones, and the controllers/remotes are roughly the same price depending on which ones you buy.

The strips have adhesive on the back so you can just stick them to your existing hood.

Get a controller and lights that can change colour and you'll have an adjustable colour LED setup for around $60.
I don't believe that there is enough light to grow plants etc, without a considerable number of strips.... they should be find for viewing fish though

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
I don't believe that there is enough light to grow plants etc, without a considerable number of strips.... they should be find for viewing fish though
Ahh yeah I kind of missed that.

That aside I found the ebay seller "2012topdeal" has AMAZING prices on high powered LEDs. Like 100x 3W LEDs on PCBs for $40. or 20 for $7!!

At any rate, there are a lot of options for high powered LEDs, I have a 10W that I made into a desk lamp..... It more or less lights the entire room up lol. It cost me $10 for the LED at a local shop, I believe another $10 or $20 for a dimmable driver for it and my time to assemble it.

LEDs are pretty easy to DIY into stuff too, so there's no need to spend $400 on an LED fixture.

When I finish my stand and get to the lighting I think that's what I'm going to do, spend $400 on DIY'ing a far brighter setup for a planted tank, using either 3 or 5W LEDs.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Ahh yeah I kind of missed that.
I don't think it was ever stated, one way or another :)

I was just saying as another data point is all :)

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
LEDs won't save you a lot in terms of electric consumption compared to fluorescents with electronic ballasts. (the old transformer ballasts waste a fair amount of energy).

However, for an aquarium they are significantly more efficient than fluorescents; all the light goes down, rather than rattling around in the reflector, which loses maybe 30% of the light, mostly to having it hit the fluorescent tube again.

LEDs are also smaller than a fluorescent system with the equivalent output, are very easy to adjust your color spectrum / PAR rating, and relatively easy to dim (fluorescents can't do that)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store