LED Lighting vs T5

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
So the new tank I've got uses T5 old school fluorescent bulbs. I can't use the new LED tubes.

How do people rate the LED racks you can now get in place of older T5 bulbs?

If i was to just get two new T5 bulbs, what are the best combinations for a nice clean bright lighting and which plants will respond well to - the tank won't be heavily planted. On the juwel website for example there is a choice of day, colour, nature, marine and blue.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Marine and blue are out... do you have a link to the website so i can check the others?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
T5 light bulbs can get expensive to replace.. so financially, look at the long term cost.

As for which; you should not have to pick from Jewel as all actual T5 bulbs should be standard (be sure to match the lengths and wattage for the bulbs though) different colors will do different things, and highlight different colors in your tank. If you are unsure, maybe look for examples of similar tank setups to yours and see which look the best to you. Even the blue lights can be useful for some sorts of freshwater fish; it's a question of what looks best to your eye, few others will look at the aquarium as much as you do

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
I can't post links yet sorry..... does this work though?

https: // www.juwel-aquarium. co.uk/ Products/Lighting/Fluorescent-lamps/HiLite-T5-fluorescent-tubes/

An LED set up for example is coming in at around £40 = does anyone prefer them?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
All the aquariums I am running (say 10 or so) are all using LED lighting, both freshwater (all planted) and Saltwater reef.

It's mostly a cost consideration, and my laziness, I would want higher level lighting and don't get the cheapest lighting... I am more middle to high end.

I would say to start with what sort of aquarium you are keeping, and how important the lighting is to you.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The problem with Leds is that not all, but most sellers have to omit specifications or/and lie in order to sell them. Also aquarium specific Led lighting is overpriced. For example a Epistar SMD2835 6500K Led strip is much cheaper and exceeds probably all aquarium specific Leds in quality.

When you want "nice clean bright lighting" you could get the "day" and "color" it will add some more red and blue, or 2 "day" bulbs which is brighter. They have a picture on each page that shows the effect, which of the 3 f/w bulbs is not very important for plants it is more of a personal preference for color. Doug is right you don't have to get Jewel T5's you can get any. I will recommend you the 965 by either Osram or Phillips, I think they are around $10 per bulb. They are the best light quality you can get for the price, and for sure fit "nice clean bright lighting"

Last edited:
Reactions: Linconooni

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
This will be a tropical moderately planted set up (once we can get back out and buy plants that is!).

Lighting is important as the tank is a feature point in the room and I spend a lot of time peering at the inhabitants :D

I'm going to try a NICREW LED assembly I've found on Amazon for £49, I think. It has a timer setting on it

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Try searching for just ledstrip smd2835 6500k, don't know about the UK but you can find them on Ebay, Amazon, etc.
I paid like $20 for 7 ft I think. You can just stick it to a broken fluorescent tube.. the tape always fits.

Linconooni

AC Members
Apr 4, 2020
Sheffield, UK
Real Name
Gilly
something like "LE Waterproof LED Strips Lights 5M, Daylight White, 1200lm, 300 SMD 2835 LEDs, 12V Outdoor LED Strip, Pack of 5 Metre [Energy Class A]"..??

Just regular white LEDs on a strip roll? Would plants still grow?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store