Lego in a fish tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Do you think using Lego in an aquarium would be super tacky?

• Yes

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
I don't know why but for some reason the thought of building different structures out of Lego for use in an aquarium popped into my head... I checked it out and could not find any photos, but according to the people at Lego it is totally safe to do....

7) Is LEGO® safe in an aquarium for both the fish inhabitants and LEGO®?
After consultation with The Lego Company, it is indeed safe for all concerned. LEGO® is comprised of a very stable inert hard plastic and will therefore not breakdown in an aquarium environment.

http://www.vlc.ca/faq.php

This could put a whole new spin on the DIY world.

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
Yes, they would float. But, if you can mange to weigh them down somehow, it wouldnt be a problem. Might be ugly...but not a problem ;)

Kyohti

Curiouser and Curiouser...
Jan 5, 2007
Northeastern Oklahoma
Sounds interesting enough. Especially if you added super-colorful critters like apple snails and glofish. I'd have to actually see a tank with this in it, though, to believe it.

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
WOW... I found soemthign that would be neat to see.. but still... no pics.. apparantly at one of the LegoLands (LegoLand Billund) they are constructing a massive, and I mean massive aquarium.. here are some quick facts form the pdf press release:

Facts About Atlantis At LegoLand

Atlantis contains approxomitly 600,000 liters of water.

Every hour the water is re-circulated, which works out to 10,000 liters a minute.

20,000 Tonnes of salt were used to make the aquarium saltwater.

It contains 4 lego submarines, 15 lego divers and a skeleton. The fivers are 90cm's tall and the largest submarine is 4.5 meters long.

In all 230,000 lefo blocks were used in the aquarium.

Cost - $3.4 Million Euro's

Opened up March 31, 2007

Here's the full pdf is anyone wants to read it:
http://www.legoland.dk/NR/rdonlyres/1787EAE1-0D31-456B-9F61-E69AC43EC217/0/AtlantisENG.pdf

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
If you assembled the structures underwater, you wouldn't have the trapped air bubbles (as much).

I think it would be neat to build a whole LEGO city in a 55g and then put fish around it. Atlantis indeed.

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I've seen Lego built decorations in a tank thread but I can't find it anywhere. It looks somewhat cool and tacky at the same time. But definitely unique.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
tacky...but artsy...

THEJRC

Third String Messiah?
tacky depends on the setup, consider a tank near or in a nursery, in the lobby of a family practice doctor, or for some of the bigger kids like myself who happen to have a ton of lego's. I've got a shelf full of lego builds that I've done in the back room (where I build my legos with my nephews). I think it'd be a perfect addition!

go a step further and find a way to build framing and hood out of lego thus making it an honest to goodness "lego tank".

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store