Leopard Ctenopoma

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
Bubba's Nice looking!

How big is he? He looks a bit bigger than mine right now.

They also are nocturnal hunters. last night, I put two crickets in the tank, and waited patiently for 10-15 mins, but the Ctenopoma never came up. I gave up, and sat at my computer (on the other side of the tank) and 5 mins later, I heard the light (on a timer) click off. within 2 seconds after the light switched off, I heard a snap/gulp, look over and the Ctenopoma is hauling *** back down to the bottom!

I didn't even see him take it he was so quick.

But that just goes to show you how they do like to hunt noctornally.

I tried a few amano's in there once, but they were small and all disappeared... after hearing your story too I think I know why now!

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
How many crickets do you feed yours? And what size? I have leopard geckos that I get crickets for, so it would be nothing to pick up a few more lol.

abarilot

AC Members
Jun 7, 2009
By the Beach!
Real Name
Armand
I believe Bubba is a bit over 5" but I havent measured him so I could be off. I've always fed him during the day so he knows to look out for food during the day. I've gotta try crickets, sounds interesting!

venarius

AC Members
Jan 21, 2009
I was going with 'small' crickets, that way the African Butterfly can eat them as well.

The Ctenopoma puts down about 4 smaller crickets, or 2 large (fully grown) crickets.

The large crickets are too big for the African Butterfly to fit in his mouth though... so like I said, I usually go for small crickets.

Better to watch the Ctenopoma eat more (small) crickets anyway.

I go for spans with no crickets, and then I give them crickets every other day for a week or so. You know, vary the diet.

lime_smash

AC Members
May 22, 2009
Missouri
I love these fish. I have seen them a couple of times at my local fish store, but they are always really small 1/2" - 1'. I've never been brave enough to try one, but he/she looks fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
Thanks for the info! I'll definitely try that once I get mine (in 2-3 weeks hopefully)!

TankHobbyist

AC Members
Mar 19, 2010
i have one. great fish they are awsome to watch when i first got mine i was feeding him flakes and he would seemingly spit it all out now i have no problems

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store