Leveling an Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I was wondering why the styrofoam as well. Is it for insulation or to raise the tank?

If adding the shims made it worst maybe you were shimming the wrong side?
Shim on the low side.
Styrofoam, or some other material takes up the inconsistencies in the wood top and aquarium frame.....:idea:

Phil22

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
I may be way off here, but I'd rather deal with the very miner inconsistencies of the frame/stand versus how the styrofoam might crush under the weight of the filled tank.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
styrofoam is not a new concept. i have been to several LFS's that use styrofoam under the tanks on homemade stands, and if anyone orders a tank from glasscages, they require you to put the tank on foam because it will level it out. if you don't use the foam and something happens, your warranty is voided.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
I may be way off here, but I'd rather deal with the very miner inconsistencies of the frame/stand versus how the styrofoam might crush under the weight of the filled tank.
you are one of two people I have actually seen that dont like this idea.

foam is a great way to level and support a tank. yes it will crush, but its only going to crush to the point that the frame meets the stand, which will make it more dense, and give better support for the bottom glass.

personally, I use a mterial called EVALite (cloud) its a 1/2" foam rubber like material.
beautiful stuff really.

Padraig

AC Members
Mar 26, 2005
Verga, New Jersey
Styrofoam, or some other material takes up the inconsistencies in the wood top and aquarium frame.....:idea:
I see. You are using the Styrofoam as a sort of self leveling material under the assumption that the form will crush more at the high points of the frame. This would help with any imperfections in the surface of the stand; however, the rigid frame of the aquarium would not self level on it own. Only through actively shimming, preferably at the base of the stand, can you level the aquarium.

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
I see. You are using the Styrofoam as a sort of self leveling material under the assumption that the form will crush more at the high points of the frame. This would help with any imperfections in the surface of the stand; however, the rigid frame of the aquarium would not self level on it own. Only through actively shimming, preferably at the base of the stand, can you level the aquarium.
Correct..........:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store