LH or Trimac??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Dobermann

AC Members
Oct 23, 1998
Boston, MA
www.geocities.com
Je ne sais pas

I couldn't tell you for sure but I have noticed that a lot of fish stores are selling what clearly appears to be Trimacs as Flowerhorns or Louhans.

It's too bad really

crenicichla

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
i picked up a couple "flowerhorns" that turned out to be Line bred trimacs, So alot of lfs's do not know the difference, that imo is a trimac.

HTH

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
They are trimacs,luohan has more intense reddish colour,have spots on the body,lacks the greenish hue.

Jurupari Man

The Masked Tortilla
May 29, 2001
New York, NY
trimacs dont have the extra spots going down the side
Yes they do, actually. My 5" female, and this male (both from Jeff Rapps) show it clearly:

Hard to say with all the subtle & ridiculous varieties of "flowerhorns" out there, but it does look like a trimac to me.

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Originally posted by Jurupari Man

Yes they do, actually. My 5" female, and this male (both from Jeff Rapps) show it clearly:

A really good trimac will only have the 3 spots, however some of the not so desirable trimacs have more spots. I am guessing both varieties are found in the wild, and maybe people just like the 3-spot? Some friends have complained about getting poor stock when regarding trimacs from Jeff Rapps based on the above average number of spots.

i think the fish looks like a FH. The REAL trimac is getting harder to find.

ttl

Jurupari Man

The Masked Tortilla
May 29, 2001
New York, NY
Well, for what it's worth, I disagree with all of that. Who is responsible for determining which are desirable and non-desirable fish? If they exist in the wild in this form, and are classified as the same species as the "Three Spot Cichlid" trimacs, then they are trimacs. Many different color variations exist for many CA & SA cichlids - take oscars, as the most obvious example. Citrinellums and labiatums also exhibit a wide variety of patterns & markings. And Jeff Rapps' stock is excellent. I wouldn't doubt the "desirability" of any of his fish for a second. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

tuthelimit

Renewed Member
May 19, 2002
Charleston, SC
Good point.
Remember though, I was just guessing that both forms of the trimac were found in the wild. I only know the "3 spot" form is for sure. Many people attribute the multi spots to poor breeding choices and keeping weak fry. I am not speaking directly from experience, I don't keep trimacs.

Yes, no one person can say what fish EVERYONE will prefer. I can tell you, a trimac that wins at fish shows will have 3 Spots.

Jeff's fish are nice, but every fish is not perfect and it would be foolish to think they all are. Although I have not heard of many bad reports, they do come up once and a while.

IMO, a characterist like spot placement, number of spots or stripes does not vary too much from fish to fish. Certain features just always are located in the "correct" places with good stock. variations in shades however (midas coloration) is somewhat different.

ttl

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store