Lifespan of White Clouds?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
I'm curious as to the lifespan of white cloud minnows in captivity. I started with 7 and am down to 4.

I do believe that at least one was dinner. I found 1 dead and fuzzy, and the 3rd is totally MIA - I assume eaten post death. This is over the course of a year. The tank is healthy, and monitored- everything in line where it should be. They look well, and car nicely colored. My temp is kept about 80 to keep my rams happy. My understanding is that the higher temp will speed their metabolism.... so I'm just curious to hear from someone who's had experience keeping them vs reading various things on the net.

fishlover88

AC Members
Jun 26, 2006
my guess would be a few years, i would love to see one that was more than 5 years old.

michael.qian

AC Members
Jul 16, 2007
How long have you had them for?

maybe a bacteria or fungus is killing them?

They should live at least 3 years if properly cared for.

Cyberpaddy66

Fast Learning Novice
Apr 16, 2007
Plumstead, London, UK
10 cents :eek3:

Cheapest I've seen them over here is 95 pence each (with a buy 5 and get the 6th one free), we originally bought 2 (with a pair of zebra danios) to cycle our 30 litre tank but now they live in my GPS-440 20 litre in the kitchen with 6 more. As far as I know they are less then a year old and looking very healthy, I'd love for them to make it passed the 3 year barrier:headbang2:

ThePBM

Rich Hobo
Jul 30, 2007
Hawaii / Wisconsin
yeah, they're sold as feeders here. i think i'm gonna have a school of 20 for a couple bucks. what's the stocking suggestion on these per gal anyway?

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
8-10 yrs is common if they were not subject to a cycle or food competition, disease or poor genetics.

yeah, they're sold as feeders here. i think i'm gonna have a school of 20 for a couple bucks. what's the stocking suggestion on these per gal anyway?
I would say you could safely go with 20 or more in a 30G, and add a few other inhabitants for bottom activity *cough* Corys ;)

BettaNewbieX03

AC Members
Aug 1, 2007
I thought that White Clouds were cold water fish, or does temperature really not adversely affect them (other than a shorter lifespan) as long as they are adjusted properly? Does this go for all cold water fish?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store