Lighting for a 40 breeder

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Depends on what kind of plants you want to grow. For low light plants you need about 75 Lumens per gallon and for medium light about 150.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
Oh it’s like 6k but that’s doable. 5k/54 = like 100 lumens a watt and 78 watts that’s like 7800 lumens right? I’m gonna be using a t5ho grow light

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'm assuming you mean T5 fluorescent?

I would not specifically buy anything fluorescent, metal hallide, etc. You have to change lamps regularly because their radiation output fades and quality lamps are expensive.

Go with LED. Tons of options out there for a 36" LED aquarium strip light.

If you have the T5 fixtures on hand, by all means use them, especially if they're older, better made stuff. Problem is like said, today's replacement fluorescent tubes suck compared to the ones made years ago.

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
What lights should I get then? All these lights are only like 20 watt and that’s like nothing compared to price I’d have to get like 5 of those which would be like 200$ compared to a 2 bulb fixture with lights would be like 60$

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The wattage rating means nothing for your tank. All that is, is a measure of how much power the fixture consumes. Way back in the day the old watts per gallon was a rough estimate that applied to fluorescent fixtures only. LEDs consume a fraction of the power that fluorecents did, that's why you see the low wattage specs on LEDs

Like you said, lumens in your point of reference now.

Reactions: dudley

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
Is a twin star 90b a good pick? I’m not growing anything TOO high tech and the tank is gonna be dirted, I will hopefully be able to dose liquid carbon and at least fluval gro+ and Nilocg thrive

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Seems pricey for a name I'm not familiar with at all. I've bought several no-name cheaper ones off eBay or the likes over the years. Some are still going strong. Others, failed long ago.

If you want something that is going to last, go with name brands. Current Satellite is a good one, Finnex is another, there's many others. Hopefully others wish chime in.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store