Lighting for Anenomes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
TKOS said:
Really, what source can you point me to that says anemones do well in nitrate rich water? I am always interested in learning more about them but had never heard that before.
I have seen mutple high nitrate tanks that are anemone tanks only.Matter of fact one guys nitrates is off the chart at over 200! Unlike (hard) corals and fish they do not rely on oxygen or at least not in a direct mannor.However is is important to have clear water (light goes through more)and powerfull enough lights.The most common cause of anemone deaths in captivity is lack of diverse food (new tank) and/or lack of light.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
How long have such tanks been setup? And is there a reason they let the nitrates get so high? Do they think it is good for the anemones, or it just happens?

natonaga

AC Members
Jan 25, 2005
i must have anenomes :sad

exactly what type of lights watts nanos kelvins do i need to add.

thanks everyone

corriewf

EVIL
Jan 26, 2005
richmond,va
They had the tanks set up for years and just dont do water changes that often.They have rose anemones and they are bright red and healthy.

On a 100 gallon you would need metal halide.I would say at least 2 400 watts of 20k which should provide enough par for any anemone and or clam/sps corals you would like to keep. :)

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
That's interesting Corriewf. In my tank when ever anything goes out of whack they and the stars will usually let me know before I can get around to testing. I'd love to see something backing this up.
Natonga I'd ditch the c.c. and the filter material if you want a reef. Most of the corals and as far as I know all the anemonies are pretty picky about water quality. Run your canister empty and go to home depot etc and get some play sand. That will really help out your water quality in the long term. I'd advise letting you tank get very well established prior to adding an anemone ," give it 8 months to a year." The don't do very well in new set ups you might also want to try some soft or even sps species before taking the anemone plunge. Even the easy ones are really pretty picky and I'd have to agree with O.G. and not add an anemone . As a matter of fact I'd also advise extreme caution with any of the corals and their kin as long as you have the crushed coral. The only ones I know of that would stand much of a chance would be the shrooms.
You could do all the critters you want with c.c. and filter materials but, it would take a LOT of chemicals and filters to keep your water quality good. In the long term it would save you a bunch of money and time if you would change a few minor issues with your set up before your tank gets too far along.
HTH
I love anemonies too I understand
Chris

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Depends on how much c.c. you have. If you just have a very small amount,"less than 1 cm", on the bottom and your tank hasn't been set up long it shouldn't be a problem. The issue is c.c. catches food, dead stuff, fish wastes etc. as it rots it runs through the nitrogen cycle and that will release lot of wastes into your tank defeating the purpose of the deep sand bed. The problem with c.c. and the filter media is that it can't compact enough to achieve an anerobic condition and complete the cycle and become good old harmless nitrogen :). I know it's a pain but in the long run it will pay off. I'd just do 1/3 to 1/2 of my tank at a time that way it won't disrupt to much and will give bacteria in the deep sand bed time to establish. You also might want to consider removing your stock for a day or so during the conversion period as you will have quite the sand storm.
hth
chris

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store