Lighting ideas?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I’m looking for suggestions for a good led strip light. I like the look of kessel tuna sun but i have a canopy so the gooseneck fixture isn’t an option, that and the kessel price tag. But I’m looking for shimmer with a natural, but bright look. Here’s a pic of the kessel on a tank so I’m looking for anything that even comes close to this. Thanks for any suggestions

5401E86D-2917-4DEC-B711-3084D69C0FF8.jpeg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you want shimmer it needs to come from a single source, rather than a strip or tile.

Hiro make an affordable one, but it's a pendant, so canopy....

Aqua Illuminations may work with your canopy...

Knowing the dimensions of the tank and canopy might work.. can't really make suggestions without knowing.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
If you want shimmer it needs to come from a single source, rather than a strip or tile.

Hiro make an affordable one, but it's a pendant, so canopy....

Aqua Illuminations may work with your canopy...

Knowing the dimensions of the tank and canopy might work.. can't really make suggestions without knowing.
Thanks, it’s a standard 4’ 75g, here’s a pic with the canopy

347BC2E1-B5CA-4B18-A167-08D497C504AE.jpeg

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would think you should be able to mount some of the shorter pendants.. and not sure you need a huge amount of light..

You may be able to mount the smaller kessils in there.. you don't have to use the gooseneck.

As FW you might be able to use the Fluval pendants also.. you can change spectrum a bit, and have the lights ramp up and down.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, I have no experience with Kessils but I love the shimmer. At almost $400 per (can that be right?!?) You may need 2?...or not without plants...I'd find something less spendy for your tank...

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Well, I have no experience with Kessils but I love the shimmer. At almost $400 per (can that be right?!?) You may need 2?...or not without plants...I'd find something less spendy for your tank...
Before I had the canopy, I just used goosenecks and cheap ebay par bulbs for that effect. But I love the canopy, but I’m also not gonna spend 400-800 not to grow corals lol

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I would think you should be able to mount some of the shorter pendants.. and not sure you need a huge amount of light..

You may be able to mount the smaller kessils in there.. you don't have to use the gooseneck.

As FW you might be able to use the Fluval pendants also.. you can change spectrum a bit, and have the lights ramp up and down.
Thank you, I’ll look into those. This was much easier without the canopy, but I love the finished look.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I totally understand it there are lots of times I would much rather have a canopy too.

I assume your lighting needs aren't too high, so you should be able to manage with the small A80 tuna sun lights, I don't know with that canopy if you can attach the little goosenecks (they are pretty small top the rim of the aquarium or if it's totally enclosed. But you certainly have options one way or the other.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I totally understand it there are lots of times I would much rather have a canopy too.

I assume your lighting needs aren't too high, so you should be able to manage with the small A80 tuna sun lights, I don't know with that canopy if you can attach the little goosenecks (they are pretty small top the rim of the aquarium or if it's totally enclosed. But you certainly have options one way or the other.
My lighting needs are strictly aesthetic, it’s a rift tank. I think I figured out a way to mount some goosenecks. Now I’m just debating if i want to put the money out for a kessel or not lol. Aqua illumination looks good too. Thanks

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
the small kessils are cheaper I believe. Personally I prefer the color from the AI lights though.

but for a rift lak tank, it may look better with reef lighting rather than FW planted; but it's a personal decision.

the best of luck with the lights though, be sure to post before and after pictures once you have something set up !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store