lighting issue

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Thanks !!!!!!! after hours online that is the exact information I was looking for. These corals have been under that light since I got them. I just got back from my LFS and because of the enclosure the tank is in I really only had one choice. I had to stick with PC but with a retro fit kit I was about to upgrade to 2x96w 34" bulbs (as compared to the previous 1x64w 21" bulbs). Given the size of the tank I would say thats a huge upgrade. I am hoping this will at least allow me to keep my current corals and mainly stick with lower light demanding softies. I know I will still have limitations but do you think this will at least be acceptable? Thanks again for all the help.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Sorry I also used 2 individual reflectors for each bulb. If I am correct this should also help since I am using PC.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
levels are fine...

sal .025
nitrate 2.5
nitrite 0
amonia 0
DKH 10
PH 8.2
RO/DI water
temp 80-82
Cal 500

45 gal tank with 60lbs liverock and a sandbed. great coraline growth algae issue gone.

mattskims

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
As far as lighting, an important aspect to discuss when discussing T5HO is the reflectors. A high quality bulb combined with an individual high quality reflector can match the intensity of MH. Also, you can usually pull out a better color spectrum with the ability to use different combo of bulb temps with T5HO. Plus, your electric bill will be nicer with T5HO. If your T5HO bulbs are not individually reflected, then you basicaly have PC.

You can keep corals under PC but it will be mainly limited to zoas, shrooms, xenia, and other softies...which can still make for a nice tank with the unlimited color choices of zoas. You could possibly keep some hardier LPS if it is kept at the top of the tank. However, all SPS, nems, etc. need to be reserved for established tank with MH, T5HO, or LED.

maverick1320

AC Members
May 29, 2009
well now I have new lights and in 48 hours my flower pot is peeling ff is base and doesn't open (sure it willbe deabd within a day or two). My torch coral won't open and the sand bed is covered in algae !!! I'm done with this !!! I'll leave whatever lives and let the rest die. Time to go back to a FOWLR. I give up !!! I use RO/DI my levels are all perfect no nitrate of phosphate. More then enough flow. I seriously right now want to pull them all out and through them in the trash. I've had enough of this !!! expensive lessen learned.......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store