Lighting (Kelvin) question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CRfishlover

Serial Lurker
Jan 16, 2002
Castle Rock, Colorado
I am about to embark on a 75G planted tank adventure and I am narrowing my lighting choice to
- 3 x 96W from AHSupply (3.84 W/G)
- 4 x 55W from AHSupply (2.96 W/G)
What do you suggest knowing that it might be either a Discus tank or community tank centered around Angels and/or Rainbows.

The other question is what Kelvin do you propose for these lights? My inclination was a combination of 5000 and 6700k, letting the 5000's come on an hour before and go off an hour after the brighter 6700's to simulate sunrise and sunset. Opinions and suggestions? I have heard that using the 5000k lamps may give me too much of a yellow light.

And finally, does anybody have any experience with adding a 1 or 2 x 13W combination with a blue light for night viewing, simulating moonlight?

Thanks.

djlen

Fish?.......What Fish?
Aug 19, 2002
Somerdale, New Jersey USA
Kelvins have little to do with brightness. They refer to color spectrum. If the tubes are the same wattage, they will be of the same brightness.
I do like the combination you are considering. IMO, 6700K is the best choice for planted tanks.

Len

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Your W/G question should be partly dependant on what plants you want to grow and if you are injecting CO2 (I would assume you are with that much light).
I agree that the 5000K bulbs are too yellow, but the 6700s will balance them out. The lights color will look different with different color backgrounds, gravel, etc...(may look more/less yellow depending on the colors in the tank). I like the simulated sunrise/set. I do the same thing.
Sorry, no exp with moonlighting.

beviking

Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Kind of like how everything turns yellowish at sunset...yuck! That's terrible!:rolleyes:

Philbe

AC Members
Oct 13, 2003
ottawa canada
Visit site
The latest edition of Aquarium magazine has a good article on lighting. Covers all the terms and what bulb is good for what.
HTH

jeffro426

AC Members
Dec 17, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by beviking
Kind of like how everything turns yellowish at sunset...yuck! That's terrible!:rolleyes:
Hmm...sunsets...fishtanks....sunsets...fish tanks. I think theres only a slight difference there?? I personally think yellowish lights look tacky and very unnatural(might as well just put incandecents in there)

beviking

Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Different but beautiful! Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I don't care for the yellow look either but some may.:p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store