lighting options

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I got the new Foster & Smith catalog today. I sometimes flip through it before chucking it into the recycle bin. Well I did that today, and the LED lighting caught my eye. The catalog mentions that LED lights create glitter lines.

So now I am itching for new lighting on my 125 gal tank. It is a freshwater tank. Rainbows and tiger barbs and cories mainly. No live plants. My water is a bit challenging for live plants, so I haven't done much with them. So really I just want lighting that looks pleasing. My current lighting is a 4 ft shop light (old bulbs, I don't remember if they are generic shop light bulbs or anything special). The ends of the tank are obviously shaded a bit which is fine with me, but not required. I would like lighting closer to the front of the tank. I guess I want lighting which spans the whole top better. If the light is in the center of the tank, the fish look dark when they are closer to the front of the tank than the glass. The tank is minimal maintenance with few algae problems currently.

Has anyone tried LED lights? Liked them? Didn't like them? Is there something else new that I should be considering? I haven't investigated lighting since I had a reef tank years and years ago, when metal halide was the thing to have and power compacts were new. I went with the power compacts but they were pretty hot and required a fan. LED's wouldn't have heat issues...

IMG_1260a.jpg

Any thoughts?
Lisa

IMG_1260a.jpg

hmilstead

Heather
Aug 7, 2006
Glendale, AZ
Marineland has a freshwater LED system out right now for single and double bright but the regular led and moon led are on one switch so not programmable by timer yet. In April or so, Marineland is coming out with a new LED with separate power sources that can be timer programmed. You can check it out at their website.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Wow, that is a really nice tank you got there. I use the marineland double brights on some of my 20T, 20L and 30 gallon tanks and they are great. I tried putting on my 125, non-planted discus tank....they just were not bright enough. They don't penetrate far enough down. I bought some LED spotlights off ebay after reading a thread on Monsterfishkeepers. I have 2 on a 90 with no plants and it's just OK. They just aren't great yet for deeper tanks. Give a very nice light though and a beautiful shimmer effect. Would look really great with your rainbows!

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store