Lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Hey guys,

I'm hoping for some help with a lighting question I have. There are 4 aquariums in my office and three of them (2 10-gallon and 1 20-gallon) have the regular hood and light with the fluorescent 4,200K 15W bulbs. The smallest tank however (6-gallons) has a mini compact fluorescent bulb and the plants in that tank are doing MUCH better than the other tanks. I want to change the bulbs in the three bigger tanks but the hoods themselves are made for the long fluorescent style bulbs and have nothing to screw the mini compacts into as the long bulbs just slide into the slots and don't screw in. Help?

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
I'm a grad student so I share my office with 2 other students. The tanks belong to the three of us though I take care of all of them so I can do whatever I want with them. :) So you're suggesting that I remove the entire light sock for the old, long bulbs, replace it with new sockets and cf bulbs?

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I'm a grad student so I share my office with 2 other students. The tanks belong to the three of us though I take care of all of them so I can do whatever I want with them. :) So you're suggesting that I remove the entire light sock for the old, long bulbs, replace it with new sockets and cf bulbs?
well you got a few options
1- a whole new fixture for each tank
2- shoplight stretching above all tanks (thats if they are together)
3- Ahsupply kit
4- diy with either single light sockets or double (this is with screwin bulbs not the long pc bulbs)

pick one and ill try my best to help you

Urnesha

AC Members
Feb 7, 2008
Hmm.. well the whole new fixture for each tank will be too expensive for me right now and the tanks are not all together so the shoplight stretching won't work.

Gah. Just checked the prices of the AH Supply kits. Seems like this is a project that will have to wait a while. Thanks for the advice though! I'll bother you again when I have the necessary dinero. :)

Bk718

No Monkey Business
Nov 29, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Hmm.. well the whole new fixture for each tank will be too expensive for me right now and the tanks are not all together so the shoplight stretching won't work.

Gah. Just checked the prices of the AH Supply kits. Seems like this is a project that will have to wait a while. Thanks for the advice though! I'll bother you again when I have the necessary dinero. :)

the diy with screw in compact fluorescent bulbs would cost you $30 tops to fix up all of the lights

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store