Lighting question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
I'm picking up my 75gal.,stand and lights next Saturday, GREAT!!! He told me the lights are coralife 4x65wat power compact, "fan cooled" what is that? runs off 2 separate switches per 2 bulbs. So I guess you can turn half on etc. But really, what is fan cooled, I didn't want to sound too much like I don't know what the heck I'm doing,lol, it has been 30 years!
He said he had very high light plants with CO2 and used ferts too. I will be putting in plants but trying to go with low light plants and no CO2 at first anyhow. So for the whole deal it was just under 200 bucks. I think I got a decent deal, tank is 4 y/o and light is a bit newer. Can anyone give me ideas for plants. I'm doing a community tank, still not sure on stocking, will think about that during the fishless cycling. Thanks for any suggestions:)

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
pc bulbs get hot. heat wears the bulbs out faster and may not be wanted in a particular tank. fans similar to pc fans sometimes come mounted in fixtures for these reasons. just keeps air movement over the bulbs.

for plants i'd just pick up a couple low light plant packs someone's offering in the marketplace here... or get what you can from mgamer20o0 (bobstropicalplants.com).

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Thank you for the info, much appreciated. I was just wondering
if it's a dangerous type of lighing system?

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Unless there are exposed bare wires and loose stuff, it's pobably genenrally safe.

People generally don't want to make unsafe stuff for themselves.

But, you could alway shoot a few oif pix here and some of us could give you a general Idea if the lighting is safe. But without actually seeing it handling it and testing it there is no way to be absolutely sure it is safe.

Best wishes,
Wes

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Why wouldn't it be safe?
As you can see the OP is woundering if the lighting is "Dangerous".

I was just giving my thought about how it is NOT likely to be "dangerous" BUT the only way to know is to have it fully tested and examined.

Hope this clears that up.

Best wishes,
Wes

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Thank you Wes, I just want to make sure it's ok. I will take pictures when I pick them and my tank up Saturday. It's been so long since I've had a tank I just feel soooo.....ignorant about it all, but I'm reading and asking maybe dumb questions but they help me. Sorry don't mean to be a pain in the tush! I am very excited to be setting up this tank next week though:)))

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Thank you Wes, I just want to make sure it's ok. I will take pictures when I pick them and my tank up Saturday. It's been so long since I've had a tank I just feel soooo.....ignorant about it all, but I'm reading and asking maybe dumb questions but they help me. Sorry don't mean to be a pain in the tush! I am very excited to be setting up this tank next week though:)))
No problem ...

The stupid question is the one not asked ... especially when it ends in and with disaster.

Ask away I say ...

Best wishes,
Wes

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Ha, thank you Wes!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com