Lighting Strip

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Ok so right now on my tank (20 gallon) I have a single tube running at 15 watts. What I wanted to know is if there is any lighting strip out there that I can put on my tank that has 2 bulbs instead of the one or am I stuck unless I get a bigger tank?

FYI the current strip is on a cover. The strip measures 22.5" L x 5" W and fits into a slot on the current cover. The tank measures 24" L x 12.5" W.

Thanks for any help

schaadrak

Lo-Tech Advocate
Sep 3, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
If you're handy you can always take the lamp and ballast out of the fixture and put in a couple of screw-in CFL bulbs. Or there are numerous 24" fixtures available online. But you will probably need to dose ferts and CO2 for some of those.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
ok about the screw in CFLs are those going to give me a good viewing light plus the right spectrum for plants? The reason I ask is cause I have tried to use normal tube bulbs instead of the specific aquarium bulbs and they are all yellow when I put them on my tank.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
ok with the CFLs do you think I could get away with an Exo-Terra light fixture?

Izzy2

AC Members
Jun 22, 2006
King of Prussia, PA
Real Name
Bob
Find a cheap used tank with a hood with 2 regular / incadescent bulbs. Use 6700k compact flourescent screw in bulbs from walmart. I've got two 26 watt bulbs over a twenty high. The restrike because of poor reflectors make this like equal to 40 watts... Just set this up two months ago, no algea yet and good plant growth.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store