Line Breeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
How many people are line breeding their own cichlids for size, color, or finnage? I am currently Line breeding firemouths for finnage, size, and red/blue colors. Color is the first priority, then size, then the length of the ray extensions. My goal is a fixed strain of albino and red firemouths with red eyes and good finnage! I am at my second generation culling now for color to raise the males to breeder size in 10g individually. All tanks have sand substrates and floating live plants(hornwort/duckweed). I maintain stable water chemistry with unmeasurable nitrate levels. Fish are fed heavily and malaysian livebearer snails help keep the sand clean. Hikari frozen bloodworms, Mysid shrimps, and live ghost shrimps. Fish grow amazingly fast with these foods. I also use Tetra flake and color bits. This endeavor will take me at least 3 years to get the fish I'm looking for.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
No digital camera and I've tried using a 35mm with 800 speed fuji film- no luck. Line breeding can be done in all cichlids for darker colors and better size and finnage. One must to remember to only breed the best offspring and to " out breed " with a different fish of the same species when the offspring aren't giving the desired results anymore. The big drawback is the 5 to 10 tanks needed for a serious at home breeding program.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store