Lions and Triggers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Goblin

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
West Texas
Visit site
Been reefing for years and have just set up a fish only tank so that I can keep some lionfish. I was also thinking about putting a trigger in it because I know they are active and would add some life to the tank, while the lions were in the caves. Does anyone know how a Picasso Trigger would do with a couple of Volitan Lions? Thanks for any help or recommendations.

quantim0

Go Packers!!
Feb 19, 2002
Westfield, NJ
if you want to keep triggers i would invest in atleast a tank over 100 gallons. most triggers will reach around 18" with few larger species. also, decide which you want more, lions or triggers. triggers will remove the spines off the lion creating a bad situation. one volitans would be ok in a 75, but you'd need a bigger tank for more bacause they are predators and create a large amount of waste into the tank. you're gonna need a very large tank to support a bunch of lions or a trigger.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Triggers and lions are an okay mix, but if the lions are in a larger tank, they tend to be more active. The biggest threat would be the trigger nipping a fin while feeding--otherwise, they tend to ignore each other.

Goblin

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
West Texas
Visit site
Thanks for your responses.... I bought a little 2" Picaso Trigger because I heard that they are a little less aggresive than most other triggers.....I also plan on ordering a small Volitan Lion. Its only a 65 Gallon Tank, but as they grow, it will give me an excuse to buy them a bigger home:) :) Thanks again.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
We have a picasso and a lion together--they are about the same size. The lion recently lost about 1/4 of one side fin due to the trigger during meal time. Nothing nasty--it was a clean cut and appears to be re-growing nicely. Just remember that the trigger can out compete the lion for food, and will steal food if he can. We feed earthworms, and this helps since the lion can gulp down a chunk while the trigger is trying to stuff an entire worm down his little mouth.

There might be problems as they mature--the trigger will be bigger and more aggressive than the lion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store