Little white eggs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paul S

Registered Member
Jun 10, 2021
All of a sudden, I'm spotting little white eggs on the wood and substrate. Are they eggs and if so, any idea what kind? I have fancy guppies neocaridina shrimp, and mystery snails. Use RO/DI water. Lots of plants. Thanks.

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0944.jpg

Paul S

Registered Member
Jun 10, 2021
As some history to this, I started the hobby in February, have five aquariums now. Breeding shrimp, guppies, and mystery snails. Two of the five aquariums show these eggs, but they have had no common input that I know of. Before I treat the tanks to kill unwanted species, I wanted to reach out to get opinions. If I had a microscope, I'd definitely look closer. I tried vacuuming, but they are as heavy as the substrate so I'm just burying them. If nobody has any ideas, I may pull the mystery snails and dose the tanks with "No Planaria." I understand it kills most unwanted guests... without harming fish or shrimp.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Are you sure they're "mystery" snails & not nerites? Nerites can lay eggs kind of like that, hard & stick very fast to, well, everything. Mystery snails lay a big long clump of eggs above the water line...even the first time they'd be ~1 inch x 2 or 3 inches long...IME, albeit limited experience.

I can't think of what else lays very white individual eggs like that...maybe someone else knows...But if that's what they are the "no planeria" won't remove the hard stuck on eggs...if that's what you're hoping for.

Paul S

Registered Member
Jun 10, 2021
Thanks, but no. I'm breeding blue mystery snails in this tank and magenta in the other. I'm holding off from doing anything at the moment and watching.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, good luck! I have no other guesses, sorry. I can't think what lays those very white individual eggs like you have...I hope someone else does, I'd like to know too...but it sure isn't "mystery snails" of any color...that's not what they do when they lay eggs...I think I said...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store