live rock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rooter

Tommy Root
Dec 28, 2007
Ontario
i am planning on a reef tank and i have decided that i will put in live rock. at my LFS live rock cost 10$/lb :eek3:and i need approx 100lbs. i dont wanna break the bank but i want a full but still open swimming room aquascape. do you have any suggestions on a way around this problem?

rooter

Tommy Root
Dec 28, 2007
Ontario
what is abse rock? how much does it cost? does it look the same as live rock?

tamableanimal

AC Members
Aug 26, 2007
Caro, Michigan
Base rock is just plain rock that you can get at most lfs. It is dry when you buy it. Rinse it off and put in the tank with live rock. Generally in a few months it is live rock. It will be white when you get it. But after being in the tank for a few months you should see some growth on it from the live rock. It usually only costs about 1/3 as much as live rock.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
Base rock is just rock. It does not have the bacteria and little critters living in it that the live rock has. My LFS sells base rock for 1.99/lb vs 7.99/lb for live rock. It looks different initially, but in time it will all look the same...I cannot tell the difference between the live rock I bought and the base rock that I had....I seeded about 300lbs of base with about 30 lbs of live rock. That proportion is probably way off what people would normally do, but I already had the base rock and was in no hurry to fully srock my tank.
Hope this helps!
Robbie

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
i am planning on a reef tank and i have decided that i will put in live rock. at my LFS live rock cost 10$/lb :eek3:and i need approx 100lbs. i dont wanna break the bank but i want a full but still open swimming room aquascape. do you have any suggestions on a way around this problem?
Premium aquatics. They have a better selection than most LPS, its cheaper and of higher quality than most LPS.. Even with the shipping. You could buy two 50 lb containers of it and still have money left over from what you'd pay from your LPS.

I also pay 10 to 12 bucks a lb where I live and will only pay them those prices for very special pieces. And that will only be shape.

tranceFusion

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
Frederick, MD
I 2nd premium aquatics. just got some awesome rock from there. I just bought a mix of the three kinds they had in stock - kaelini, fiji, and timora..

the kaelini and timora are much more interesting than the fiji, though the fiji provides some nice flat space to attach corals..

Twill

AC Members
Jan 5, 2007
Davenport, Iowa
See if there's a local reef club near you. Members often will have live rock for sale (among other equipment, etc.).

Plus, members are usually very nice and eager to help a fellow hobbyist.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Twill has another good idea as well.. If you have a local club that has a substantial member base you can find guys that are tearing down their systems. You could also check some other forums.. There are always guys on RC tearing down systems. But with premium aquatics I know they have a quality product.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store