LJ 100L Riparium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Thanks Sprinkle, it doesn't look so bad in person, but it doesn't convince me as such, I'll give myself some time and work on it.

Reactions: Sprinkle

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I have a couple of updates, yesterday I undid all the hardscape work, I'm trying to get some ideas and when that happens then I will work on that, I'm watching and reading some interesting tank threads on the net as time allows me, and that is I may not use more than a couple of medium sized rocks for the hardscape, and get rid of the meaningless pile of rocks. Also, product of some threads, I found the tank of user jay973 here in AC, this guy used the MTS, and his plants and tank took an incredible look, so I forgot the idea of the homemade substrate and today I worked sifting the earth as I happened number one to configure it, if all goes well I will have the MTS ready in a few days.
P1010393.JPG
P1010395.JPG
From the beginning I knew that I was going to have fun getting my hands dirty.
IMG_20201001_184217~2.jpg

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Well, I'm following the instructions, although I'm going to have problems obtaining the dolomite and the muriate of potassium, here I have a question, in case of not finding them, is there any way to supply them?

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
In case of tannins in the water, I'm thinking of using Seachem purigen, do you have any idea if this can affect the nutrients of the mineralized soil?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Purigen should only be pulling chemicals from the water that flows through the filter,

anything that is filtered out from the soil, will be because it has leeched from the soil into the water, which is likely to cause algae issues and such if plants are not using it.

in short, if you are not adding fertilisers to the water itself, you should be fine.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Thanks dougall, that was my question, because they explained to me that I could eliminate the tannins by purigen, and I would not like to do so much work with the substrate if it will later be eliminated by a mistake like that. I like tannins in natural tanks, but not in planted tanks.

Reactions: dougall

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I think at the moment, I can't do enough for the hardscape. Everything has had a completely new arrangement, the woods for the plants on the top are in place, and I need to layer the substrate, seal and continue with the hardscape on the right side, which will have a small stacked area of rocks of size small that will contain anubias, cryptocorines or plants of this type. I have not had an anubia for a long time, is it possible to plant it in the substrate and that it has a correct growth? Or do I just place them between the rocks and they will thrive on their own?
P1010544.JPG
Try to explain as well as possible how I intend to plant the areas of the tank, the areas outlined in green represent the planted areas, the areas outlined in red are where I intend to place the plants in red (I pretend Rotala sp. Pink, Alternanthera reineckii mini, Ludwigia atlantis and Ammania praetermissa). The area in yellow will be populated by plants growing on the ground, an example is Cryptocorine parva, and finally the area in pink is a kind of corridor that I intend to achieve as soon as the plants adapt and begin to spread and take shape. inside the tank. Feel free to make suggestions and comments!
P1010550.JPG

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, all I can say is good luck, I think I've killed all those plants...maybe more than once, lol. Crypt parva, I still have some, but dang it's slow growing & only half of 30+ lived. Still, my plant clubbers were impressed at how well mine was doing last year...but not so many now...sniff. They were part of an experiment I tried. Some were in Turface with osmocote, some old Amazonia soil mud (also w/osmocote) & some with Palm & fern sticks in Turface. I didn't see a difference, I lost some of all, but some also grew well.

CO2, of course, will help a lot, as will better ferts than I usually do...

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
I know your experience, and knowing that you have not had luck with these plants is not encouraging for me, lol. But thanks for the good wishes, I'm finishing with the MTS, this tank should have water within a few days, by the way, Osmocote products are somewhat complicated to get around here, besides they are VERY expensive, if I had to spend on something So, I would rather try to get ADA Amazonia, I'm sure the difference would be little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store