Lone clown loach clicking at top

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
So We've had this clown loach for years.Over 13, I'm pretty sure. I think we originally had 5, and they dwindled down to just this one. I think the last one just died earlier this year-jumped out of the tank into a cat litter box. Anyway, its the only fish we've got, and frankly, we're just waiting for him to finally die so we can get rid of this tank, but we don't want to just up and kill him or flush him or whatever. Being a bottom feeder, he's actually learned to feed from the top, and in the mornings before being fed, will hang out at the top of the tank, doing his little clicking/sucking thing they do. Well, now he does that on and off all day. coul there maybe not be enough oxygen for him? We've got one of those bio-wheel filters, and there's lots of surface movement. Or maybe he's lonely? Or since he's so big (8+ inches?) he's just always hungry? we feed him shrimp pellets, and he doesn't nibble on them like I've seen others do-he swallows them whole. I was just reading they should be kept in groups, but I don't want to get more to have to wait for *those* to die, and anytime we add any other kind of fish to the tank, it just dies, so we haven't tried in years, but I feel bad if he's lonely.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The worst thing that can happen to a clown loach is being alone. They are very social fish and need to be in schools. Please contact a fish rescue or look for a hobbyist with a monster tank with other clown loaches.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh, please rehome you only clown loach! They can live for many many years, but 1 alone is beyond sad, please don't do it much longer, give it away to a better home or even your LFS ...they might be happy to get a larger clown & you can sell your tank. Please don't flush it!!

Where in CA are you? I would give it a good home & get it some more clown friends. I'm in Walnut Creek, near SF...pm me!

mollybabes

AC Members
Jan 3, 2003
california
Visit site
Sorry, I'm in SoCal. I don't even know how to go about rehoming a fish. There's only one non-chain pet store around me, and I don't quite trust the cleanliness of their tanks. We absolutely will not flush it. My hubs is a softie when it comes to pets, and I wouldn't do that anyway.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Sorry, I'm in SoCal. I don't even know how to go about rehoming a fish. There's only one non-chain pet store around me, and I don't quite trust the cleanliness of their tanks. We absolutely will not flush it. My hubs is a softie when it comes to pets, and I wouldn't do that anyway.
Ask at the pet store if they have any kind of board for posting sale/trade/adoption type stuff (if not, ask them to start one!). Or, ask if they know of any customers that have large tanks that might be interested in adopting your fish. Or, see if there's a local aquarium club on FB in your area where you could post an offer to try and rehome the fish. It sounds like you want to do the right thing by rehoming vs euthanizing which is great...just have to find the right home.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store