Lonely Neon Tetra, will it die being alone?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peter99

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
I'm kind of a newbie. I have a 10 gallon tank with filter and heater. I have 2 corydoras, 1 male Betta and had 6 neons. The water temp is at a constant 75-78 degree. Water tested out ok.

I started out with 6 neons and now I only have 1 left. 3 of the neons died with fungus and 2 randomly died. I think the fish is being stressed, but I don't think its from the betta. My betta was curious at first but it never did anything..... actually its kinda afraid of one of the corydoras.

So the question is, if the neon is alone will it die of loneliness? The LFS is kinda far and I don't have time to go to the pet store until the weekend if not till early next week.

I don't know why website said that neons are hardy fish. When I see the the first sign fungus, they die within hours. That's not very hardy.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Neons are not hardy. They used to be, but the years of farm breeding have resulted in fish that are prone to disease and sensitive to changing conditions. If your tank has not cycled, then the high ammonia/nitrite levels probably contributed to problems. Once established, neons are hardy--it's getting them to live for those first 3-4 weeks that's tough.

For your singleton--it will be a bit shy and reclusive by itself. It's unlikely this stress will cause any additional health problems though, and the fish will be okay for a while by itself. When purchasing new fish, try to get ones that have been in the store for a week or more. These fish are less likely to succumb to ailments when transferred to your tank. You may want to consider quarantining them in a separate setup (doesn't have to be a tank--any clean water tight tub that you can rig with a sponge filter and heater will work) for 3-4 weeks before introducing them to your main tank. Be sure to acclimate them carefully to you tank. Floating the fish is not enough. You need to keep them in a container you can add water from your setup into--about 1 cup every 15 minutes until you've doubled the volume, then remove half, and repeat. Then net the fish and relaease--don't put any of this water into your main tank.

HTH

gnahc79

AC Members
Feb 11, 2004
bay area
Visit site

Peter99

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
Visit site
Thanks. I was worried that the fish might die of loneliness for a moment. I have it isolated from the Betta, I'm not sure what the betta will do with a fish that's 1/3 the size and alone.

My betta plays around with one corydora, while it runs away from another. :p

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
I hate neons...cardinals are OK, but the neons have just been bred so much that they are horrible as community fish, or fish for small tank, or whatever. :shake:

I dont think he will die of being alone, but they do like schools of 8+.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store