Long Leaf Hygro Experiment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Oh if you have nutrients &/or soil type stuff I'm changing my guess to all will eventually grow to normal hygro. Maybe faster in the tank with water column ferts.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have the hygro in several tanks. I have also taken it with me in past years to fish events to sell. it all came from a single small piece msjinkzd put into the bag of red cherry shrimp. For those who do not know this, shrimp need to be able to grab and hold onto things. In a plastic bag this is not possible. So when folks ship shrimp they will add a piece of a plant or anything similar the shrimp can grab onto along the way.

I literally have populated several good sized tanks over the years from a single 3 or 4 inch stem which did have a couple of leaves on it.. And it grows like crazy.

I will post a pic in the next few days. Life now is a bit crazy so little seems to be happening on schedule. However, I can tell folks that of the 4 stems planted, 3 show new leaf growth and did so in a matter of days. The 4th stem is barely an inch tall and so far no signs of leaves. It is also in the new pot I used in a hurry for the stems. This was dry gravel and I added no ferts to it. The only ferts are the ones in the water itself and that tank is a jungle which gets a good dosing once a week in the water. The tanks with the single stem in the gravel has grown new faster. But that tank has both water table and substrate ferts in it.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Here are the three in the pot. I had to shoot the little guy separately. Look closely at the taller two and you will see new growth at the top and then at the node below the
potted2.jpg

The tiny one. No growth. I think even the tiny stem may be too small as a starter since the gravel in the pot has neither ferts or mulm. However, the tank itself gets a slight overdose weekly of Excel and Tropica Premium. This is because it is overplanted.
pottedrunt1.jpg

Here is the one in the gravel of an established tank.
gravel2.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I'd let the tiny root 1 go for a bit. But it's not like you don't have a bunch of hygro to replace it if needed...I doubt it'll be needed but an interesting experiment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store