Look what I just bought!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Well, damsels are never going into any of my tanks again... They just don't deserve my care for being such little _____. Frag tank will be bare bottom with egg crate shelves mounted inside. So sandsifting gobies and firefish are also out of the question.

I dunno, I really wasn't planning on putting fish in it so I never thought of what would go good. Obviously I am not putting any tang in the 29G or even the 60G. Angels too nippy. Wrasse.. maybe. Blenny.. to nippy. I don't think I could put a clown in one as they seem to like to push things around. Not sure about the Flamehawk.. I always wanted one, but not sure in a frag tank. May sit on corals all day long and smother them. Clown gobies are definately out of the question... SPS killers I am finding out.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Get a couple of bangaiis and see if you can breed them. You could also put some frags in there as well as bangaiis don't move around much.

If (and I mean if) I can get my cardinals into my 34 gal it still won't have a skimmer on it. With just 2 fish it's a pretty low bioload. At the moment only Titch is in there and he doesn't put out much of a load (so to speak):grinyes:

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Do you think 2 or 3 would be better? What would the 3rd one do if 2 mated? I know people keep cardinals by themselves, but everything I have read indicates they like groups of 3 or more. 3 would be my limit if having 3 meants a happier fish than 2. I have never kept cardinals before and I knew my current setup wasn't ideal for them, even if I had a lot less fish. Just the layout isn't good for cardinals so I never tried.

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Clown gobies, aka, Coral Crouchers.. they sit on SPS corals all the time, restricting SPS polyps from extending. My green slimer has a branch that is almost completely dead/bleached from the clown goby sitting on it. The other branches that he leaves alone look great.

Last edited:

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
The fish I will be getting rid of are:

Clown Goby - SPS killer
Maroon Clown - Mr. Grumpy.. I want happy
Lawnmower Blenny - nip nip nip on my clove polyps. common fish
Cherub Pygmy Angel - nippy against xenias, very common fish as well
Engineer Goby - waaaay to big. Cool guy but I have had enough

Debating on the coris wrasse.. it is outgrowing my 29G and I was close to taking him back but now that I have this 60 I am reconsidering this fish.

Anemone going back with the clown as well. It was fun for 5 years.. but time to head in another direction.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I reckon 2 cardinals rather than 3 from the research I've done on them. If you have 3 and out of that 3 you get a mated pair, then the mated pair often chase and nip conspecifics. Subordinate individuals will end up dead or cowering in the corners. Same reason why I wouldn't recomend chromis unless you can get a really large group. I started with 15 and I'm down to 9!!!

Cardinals would appreciate some rock though, which you could stack as frag rack, and still give them places to hide.

Can't believe you have a nippy Lawnmower blenny, agreed they're common, but darn cute and full of character!!

Can't blame you for getting rid of the maroon, I have a yellow striped maroon and sh'es a real **&&$ but she was a present (I chose her!!).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store